One Killed in Iraq Protests
Sunday: 5 Killed, 16 Wounded
At least five Iraqis were killed and 16 more were wounded in today’s violence.
Deputy Prime Minister Saleh al-Mutlaq made an unannounced visit to Ramadi where he had hoped to greet delighted protestors. Instead, they demanded Mutlaq quit the Shi’ite-led government to show solidarity with the demonstration. When he did not, the protestors turned on him and chased his convoy out of the area. Mutlaq’s bodyguards fired on the incensed crowds, wounding five of the demonstrators. One later died. An unknown number of people in Mutlaq’s convoy were also injured. The deputy premier claimed the incident was an assassination attempt. Mutlaq has been a vocal critic of Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki’s administration. This time last year, Maliki attempted to have Mutlaq removed from office but was thwarted.
One person was killed and two more were wounded in a mortar attack in Hilla.
In Tarmiya, gunmen wearing military uniforms killed a gas station owner and wounded his brother.
A municipal administrator was shot dead in Qayara.
Gunmen killed a mill owner in Mosul.
A man was wounded in a mortar attack in Bani Saad.
A blast in Jalawla wounded a woman.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Executions in Hawija; 175 Killed in Iraq – August 27th, 2016
- Suicide bombers Attack Refugee Camp; 96 Killed in Iraq – August 26th, 2016
- Fleeing Civilians Shot; 116 Killed in Iraq – August 25th, 2016
- Qayara Reported Liberated; 111 Killed in Iraq – August 24th, 2016
- Fighting Continues in Khalidiya; 189 Killed in Iraq – August 23rd, 2016