One Killed in Iraq Protests
Sunday: 5 Killed, 16 Wounded
At least five Iraqis were killed and 16 more were wounded in today’s violence.
Deputy Prime Minister Saleh al-Mutlaq made an unannounced visit to Ramadi where he had hoped to greet delighted protestors. Instead, they demanded Mutlaq quit the Shi’ite-led government to show solidarity with the demonstration. When he did not, the protestors turned on him and chased his convoy out of the area. Mutlaq’s bodyguards fired on the incensed crowds, wounding five of the demonstrators. One later died. An unknown number of people in Mutlaq’s convoy were also injured. The deputy premier claimed the incident was an assassination attempt. Mutlaq has been a vocal critic of Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki’s administration. This time last year, Maliki attempted to have Mutlaq removed from office but was thwarted.
One person was killed and two more were wounded in a mortar attack in Hilla.
In Tarmiya, gunmen wearing military uniforms killed a gas station owner and wounded his brother.
A municipal administrator was shot dead in Qayara.
Gunmen killed a mill owner in Mosul.
A man was wounded in a mortar attack in Bani Saad.
A blast in Jalawla wounded a woman.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Bus Bomb Explodes at Mosul Market; 35 Killed in Iraq – December 6th, 2016
- Displaced Executed near Kirkuk; 110 Killed in Iraq – December 5th, 2016
- Attacks on Mosul Civilians Continue; 115 Killed in Iraq – December 4th, 2016
- Suicide Bomber Targets Mosul Civilians; 91 Killed Across Iraq – December 3rd, 2016
- 192 Killed in Iraq; Explosion at ISIS Storage Facility Kills Dozens – December 1st, 2016