Five Journalists Killed in Iraq during 2012
Saturday: 1 Killed, 9 Wounded
The Iraqi Journalists’ Syndicate said five journalists had been killed during the last year. This brings the tally of murdered journalists to 373 since the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq nearly ten years ago. Another 16 incidents against journalists were reported. These include government intimidation and beatings and failed assassination attempts. Iraq remains a dangerous place for journalists. Separately, police noted that 12 al-Qaeda leaders were also killed during the year.
Meanwhile, one person was killed over the last two days and nine more were wounded.
In Tuz Khormato, a soldier was killed and three others were wounded during a bomb blast.
A police officer and three bodyguards were wounded when a bomb exploded in Ramadi.
A bomb in Falluja wounded an army officer and a soldier.
A bomb targeted a local official in Baiji, but no casualties were reported.
No casualties were reported after a bomb exploded outside a local official’s home in Basra.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Mass Execution Filmed; 131 Killed in Iraq – September 28th, 2016
- Bombers Kill, Wound Scores in Baghdad; 83 Killed Across Iraq – September 27th, 2016
- Fighting Ramps up in Anbar province; 112 Killed in Iraq – September 26th, 2016
- Mass Executions in Mosul; 145 Killed in Iraq – September 25th, 2016
- Attack on Security Chiefs near Tikrit; 87 Killed in Iraq – September 24th, 2016