The Iraqi Journalists’ Syndicate said five journalists had been killed during the last year. This brings the tally of murdered journalists to 373 since the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq nearly ten years ago. Another 16 incidents against journalists were reported. These include government intimidation and beatings and failed assassination attempts. Iraq remains a dangerous place for journalists. Separately, police noted that 12 al-Qaeda leaders were also killed during the year.
Meanwhile, one person was killed over the last two days and nine more were wounded.
In Tuz Khormato, a soldier was killed and three others were wounded during a bomb blast.
A police officer and three bodyguards were wounded when a bomb exploded in Ramadi.
A bomb in Falluja wounded an army officer and a soldier.
A bomb targeted a local official in Baiji, but no casualties were reported.
No casualties were reported after a bomb exploded outside a local official’s home in Basra.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Mass ISIS Grave Yields 167 Bodies; 19 Killed Recently in Iraq – June 20th, 2018
- ISIS Kidnappings Increase Significantly; 37 Killed in Iraq – June 19th, 2018
- Shepherds Kidnapped and Executed; 16 Killed in Iraq – June 18th, 2018
- Anti-ISIS Operation Launched in Anbar; 45 Killed in Iraq – June 17th, 2018
- More Humanitarian Aid Planned; Seven Killed in Iraq – June 16th, 2018