Islamic New Year’s Eve Carnage: 29 Killed, 194 Wounded in Iraq
Wednesday: 29 Killed, 194 Wounded
On the eve of the Islamic New Year, attacks left at least 29 dead and 194 wounded. Several politicians were targeted for assassination, but they all escaped harm. The next ten days could see an uptick in violence.
A double bombing in Kirkuk left nine dead and 38 wounded. The first bomb exploded at a Kurdistan Democratic Party office, while the second bomb targeted first responders. A separate bombing left seven street sweepers with injuries. A fourth bomb wounded another person. The provincial governor was targeted by a fifth bomb, but no casualties were reported in the attack on his convoy.
A blast in Kut left three dead and 15 wounded.
Five soldiers were killed and four more were wounded during a blast in Hawija.
In central Baghdad, a bomb killed one person and wounded ten more.
A blast at a barbershop in Hammam al-Alil killed one policeman and wounded four civilians.
Seven people were wounded during a blast in Balad Ruz.
Mortars struck a gravel plant in Falluja and wounded three workers.
Four policemen were wounded when they responded to a bomb blast at a home in Muqdadiya.
An I.E.D wounded two people in Bani Saad.
A bomb in Saidiya wounded one person.
Two homes were blown up in Riyadh.
In Najaf, a car bomb was defused.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Mortars Target Civilians in Mosul; 109 Killed in Iraq – March 22nd, 2017
- New Reports of Chemical Weapons in Mosul; 47 Killed in Iraq – March 21st, 2017
- 117 Killed in Iraq; ISIS Captures 9 Officers in Mosul – March 20th, 2017
- Civilians Flee Airstrikes in Mosul; 80 Killed in Iraq – March 19th, 2017
- Another Chemical Attack in Mosul; 28 Killed in Iraq – March 18th, 2017