With the end of Eid al-Fitr observances, reports of violence returned to their average levels. At least 20 Iraqis were killed and 33 more were wounded. Baghdad and its suburb of Sadr City saw the most casualties, but Mosul reported a number of deaths in small-scale attacks.
In Baghdad, insurgents threw bombs and grenades at a Karrada-area hotel housing a nightclub, which erupted in flames shortly afterwards. Six people were killed and 12 more were killed in the fire that is under investigation.
A blast killed one person and wounded three more in Khan Bani Saad.
A blast in Jurf al-Milih wounded three policemen, one of them an officer.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Suicide Bomber Strikes Baghdad; 16 Killed in Iraq – May 23rd, 2018
- 1,000 Bodies Recovered in Mosul; Two Turks Among 15 Killed in Iraq – May 22nd, 2018
- French Training Iraqi Forces near Syrian Border; Five Killed in Iraq – May 21st, 2018
- Eleven ISIS Militants Killed in Iraq – May 20th, 2018
- Bodies of Three Soldiers Found After Missing for Two Years; Two Killed in Iraq – May 19th, 2018