With the end of Eid al-Fitr observances, reports of violence returned to their average levels. At least 20 Iraqis were killed and 33 more were wounded. Baghdad and its suburb of Sadr City saw the most casualties, but Mosul reported a number of deaths in small-scale attacks.
In Baghdad, insurgents threw bombs and grenades at a Karrada-area hotel housing a nightclub, which erupted in flames shortly afterwards. Six people were killed and 12 more were killed in the fire that is under investigation.
A blast killed one person and wounded three more in Khan Bani Saad.
A blast in Jurf al-Milih wounded three policemen, one of them an officer.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Old ISIS Explosives Wound Children; 17 Killed in Iraq – January 19th, 2018
- Mass Grave Filled with Policemen; 30 Killed in Iraq – January 18th, 2018
- Attacks Shift to Diyala Province; 11 Killed in Iraq – January 17th, 2018
- Mass Grave at Badush Prison; 66 Killed in Iraq – January 16th, 2018
- Bloody Day in Baghdad; 53 Killed in Iraq – January 15th, 2018