22 Iraqis Killed, 58 Wounded in Iraq Bloodshed
Updated at 11:08 a.m., Saturday, July 7, 2012
Millions of Shi’ite pilgrims are in Karbala today for observances commemorating the birth anniversary of the Twelfth Imam, Muḥammad ibn al-Ḥasan al-Mahdī. Pilgrims have already been targeted for attacks while making their way to Karbala, but the city is under tight security for the event, and no attacks have been reported. About six million Iraqis are expected to visit Karbala, along with about 150,000 foreigners.
Meanwhile, at least 22 Iraqis were killed and 58 more were wounded, in mostly Sunni regions.
In Ramadi, a suicide bomber killed 10 people and wounded 37 others at a wedding reception.
Six people were killed and nine people were wounded in a blast targeting a Sahwa member’s home in Rabah al-Bahiya. He, his wife, two children and a neighbor were killed. The bomber was a family member targeting a Sahwa leader who was his cousin.
Three policemen were killed and six others were wounded, including three civilians, when a bomb targeting police in Hit exploded.
A police officer was gunned down in Falluja.
In Baghdad, five civilians were wounded during a blast in the Husseiniya neighborhood last night.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- 418 Killed as Security Forces Capture Several Towns in Northern Iraq – October 23rd, 2016
- 598 Killed in Iraq; Hundreds Sickened by Sulfur Fumes – October 22nd, 2016
- 553 Killed and Executed in Iraq as Militants Attack Kirkuk – October 21st, 2016
- US Soldier Among 126 Killed in Iraq – October 20th, 2016
- 232 Killed in Iraq as Mosul Fighting Heats Up – October 19th, 2016