22 Iraqis Killed, 58 Wounded in Iraq Bloodshed
Updated at 11:08 a.m., Saturday, July 7, 2012
Millions of Shi’ite pilgrims are in Karbala today for observances commemorating the birth anniversary of the Twelfth Imam, Muḥammad ibn al-Ḥasan al-Mahdī. Pilgrims have already been targeted for attacks while making their way to Karbala, but the city is under tight security for the event, and no attacks have been reported. About six million Iraqis are expected to visit Karbala, along with about 150,000 foreigners.
Meanwhile, at least 22 Iraqis were killed and 58 more were wounded, in mostly Sunni regions.
In Ramadi, a suicide bomber killed 10 people and wounded 37 others at a wedding reception.
Six people were killed and nine people were wounded in a blast targeting a Sahwa member’s home in Rabah al-Bahiya. He, his wife, two children and a neighbor were killed. The bomber was a family member targeting a Sahwa leader who was his cousin.
Three policemen were killed and six others were wounded, including three civilians, when a bomb targeting police in Hit exploded.
A police officer was gunned down in Falluja.
In Baghdad, five civilians were wounded during a blast in the Husseiniya neighborhood last night.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Iraqi Forces Make Some Progress; 139 Killed – March 4th, 2015
- 128 Killed in Iraq Battles and Attacks – March 3rd, 2015
- Operations Continue in Northern Iraq; 171 Killed, 210 Wounded – March 2nd, 2015
- Iraq: 4,134 Killed in February; Major Operation Begins in North – March 1st, 2015
- Heavy Clashes and Bombings Leave 97 Dead, 127 Wounded in Iraq – February 28th, 2015