22 Iraqis Killed, 58 Wounded in Iraq Bloodshed
Updated at 11:08 a.m., Saturday, July 7, 2012
Millions of Shi’ite pilgrims are in Karbala today for observances commemorating the birth anniversary of the Twelfth Imam, Muḥammad ibn al-Ḥasan al-Mahdī. Pilgrims have already been targeted for attacks while making their way to Karbala, but the city is under tight security for the event, and no attacks have been reported. About six million Iraqis are expected to visit Karbala, along with about 150,000 foreigners.
Meanwhile, at least 22 Iraqis were killed and 58 more were wounded, in mostly Sunni regions.
In Ramadi, a suicide bomber killed 10 people and wounded 37 others at a wedding reception.
Six people were killed and nine people were wounded in a blast targeting a Sahwa member’s home in Rabah al-Bahiya. He, his wife, two children and a neighbor were killed. The bomber was a family member targeting a Sahwa leader who was his cousin.
Three policemen were killed and six others were wounded, including three civilians, when a bomb targeting police in Hit exploded.
A police officer was gunned down in Falluja.
In Baghdad, five civilians were wounded during a blast in the Husseiniya neighborhood last night.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Pakistani and Saudi Pilgrims Among 30 Killed, 53 Wounded Across Iraq – December 18th, 2013
- More Attacks Against Shi’ite Pilgrims in Iraq; 33 Killed, 62 Wounded – December 17th, 2013
- Iraq Attacks Against Pilgrims, Govt Buildings Leave 100 Dead and 183 Wounded – December 16th, 2013
- Journalist Among 37 Killed in Iraq, 62 More Wounded – December 15th, 2013
- Bomb Targets Pilgrims; 34 Killed, 43 Wounded Across Iraq – December 14th, 2013