At least 38 people were killed and 146 more were wounded in attacks across the country. As usual insurgents focused on security forces and government locations. A surge in violence that has taken place in recent weeks seemed to target Shi’ites, but today’s attacks took place in Sunni neighborhoods as well.
In Baghdad, a taxicab bomb exploded near a Washash neighborhood market, killing eight people and wounding 30 more. One person was killed and six more were wounded in a blast in Abu Dsheer. Five more people were wounded in the northwest. Mortars wounded two people in al-Dulai.
In Baquba, six people were killed and 51 more were wounded in a car bombing in a shopping district. Gunmen killed two Sahwa members and two policemen at a checkpoint. Two former Sahwa members were gunned down at a butcher shop.
A double car bombing at dawn killed five people and wounded 18 more outside the Taji mayor’s home.
In Falluja, a bomb killed two police officers and wounded four others. Three more were wounded in a separate bombing. Gunmen killed a police officer and wounded three members of his family at their home.
Two policemen were killed and 10 others were wounded in a blast at the Ramadi government center. At least two policemen were also killed.
In Mosul, two policemen were killed and six more were wounded in a blast.
Two Sahwa members were killed at a checkpoint in Samarra.
In Haswa, a bomb killed one policeman and wounded another.
A roadside bomb in Khan Bani Saad wounded four people.
Three people were wounded in Dour when a sticky bomb planted on a policeman’s care blew up.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Looting, Violence Continues in Captured Towns; 57 Killed in Iraq – October 22nd, 2017
- Displaced Kurds Told Hometown Unsafe for Them to Return; 22 Killed in Iraq – October 21st, 2017
- Civilian Casualties in Battle at Kurdish Border; 67 Killed in Iraq – October 20th, 2017
- Security Forces Shoot Protesters in Kirkuk, Khanaqin; 18 Killed in Iraq – October 19th, 2017
- Peshmerga Casualty Figures Raised; 90 Killed in Iraq – October 18th, 2017