At least 38 people were killed and 146 more were wounded in attacks across the country. As usual insurgents focused on security forces and government locations. A surge in violence that has taken place in recent weeks seemed to target Shi’ites, but today’s attacks took place in Sunni neighborhoods as well.
In Baghdad, a taxicab bomb exploded near a Washash neighborhood market, killing eight people and wounding 30 more. One person was killed and six more were wounded in a blast in Abu Dsheer. Five more people were wounded in the northwest. Mortars wounded two people in al-Dulai.
In Baquba, six people were killed and 51 more were wounded in a car bombing in a shopping district. Gunmen killed two Sahwa members and two policemen at a checkpoint. Two former Sahwa members were gunned down at a butcher shop.
A double car bombing at dawn killed five people and wounded 18 more outside the Taji mayor’s home.
In Falluja, a bomb killed two police officers and wounded four others. Three more were wounded in a separate bombing. Gunmen killed a police officer and wounded three members of his family at their home.
Two policemen were killed and 10 others were wounded in a blast at the Ramadi government center. At least two policemen were also killed.
In Mosul, two policemen were killed and six more were wounded in a blast.
Two Sahwa members were killed at a checkpoint in Samarra.
In Haswa, a bomb killed one policeman and wounded another.
A roadside bomb in Khan Bani Saad wounded four people.
Three people were wounded in Dour when a sticky bomb planted on a policeman’s care blew up.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Jobs Protests Continue in the South; 36 Killed, 77 Wounded in Iraq – July 17th, 2018
- Peshmerga Killed in New Anti-ISIS Operation; 10 Killed in Iraq – July 16th, 2018
- Protests Enter Second Week; 14 Killed, 366 Wounded in Iraq – July 15th, 2018
- Two Killed, 33 Injured in Continuing Protests in Southern Iraq – July 14th, 2018
- Protests Spread Through Southern Provinces; 7 Killed, 57 Wounded in Iraq – July 13th, 2018