Saturday: 9 Iraqis Killed, 6 Wounded
At least nine Iraqis were killed and six more were wounded in only three reported attacks. Meanwhile, the Iraqi government has asked tribal leaders to discourage ongoing protests — which seem to be having an effect on some politicians.
Lawmakers tentatively agreed to halve their salaries, but not their benefits, to appease protestors who continue to demand better living conditions and an end to corruption. Last month, an earlier promise to dramatically slash salaries was eased to just a ten-percent cut Coincidently, one dramatic case of corruption came to light today. Brigadier General Numan Dakhil, who was commander of Iraq’s rapid response force, was caught taking a bribe. His guards beat the investigators, so he was able to delay his detention by a day.
Politicians traded accusations in Iraqi Kurdistan as an opposition party leader charged ruling parties with ignoring demonstrator’s requests. The region’s president, Massoud Barzani, pointed the finger back at them and accused the opposition groups of exploiting the situation. Demonstrations there began on Feb. 17.
An Iraqiya lawmaker called to form a fact-finding committee to investigate allegations that security personnel have been illegally detaining civilians in Abu Ghraib.
In Badush, gunmen killed seven soldiers who were heading home after work.
In Baghdad, a bomb blast killed one civilian and wounded six others , including two policemen, in Doura.
The body of a woman who had been shot to death was found in Kut.
Eight detainees who proved their innocence were released in Ninewa province.
A Naqshabandiya leader was arrested in Kirkuk.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- 71 Killed, 86 Wounded Across Iraq As Bombers Hit Baghdad Again – September 19th, 2014
- Bombers Strike near Baghdad Shrine; 195 Killed, 173 Wounded Across Iraq – September 18th, 2014
- 178 Killed, 95 Wounded in Numerous Attacks, Clashes Across Iraq – September 17th, 2014
- Shi’ite Militias Reject PM Ministry Picks; 67 Killed Across Iraq – September 16th, 2014
- As Diplomats Discuss Iraq, 86 Are Killed across Country – September 15th, 2014