Human Rights Watch released a report detailing the conditions some detainees, including children as young as 13, are suffering in makeshift prisons. About 1,000 fighters in the Ezidkhan Protection Force were folded into the Kurdish Peshmerga, but not without some controversy over which members did not make the cut. The Yazidi group operates in the Sinjar area.
At least 130 were killed and 126 were wounded:
In Mosul, artillery fire and strikes killed 25 civilians and wounded 117 more. A bomb in the Salam neighborhood killed eight civilians and wounded five more. Clashes in Bab al-Toub left three soldiers dead and four wounded. A possible chemical attack near the Ashur Hotel sickened a number of soldiers and journalists (video). Twenty militants were killed in Neft. Fifteen were killed in Hadar. Five more militants were killed at a market.
A civilian was shot dead in Kirkuk.
Security forces repelled attacks in Harariyat and the Makhoul Mountains, where they killed 32 militants.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Security Forces Pierce Tal Afar City Limits; 65 Killed in Iraq – August 22nd, 2017
- Tal Afar Oil Wells on Fire; 49 Killed in Iraq – August 21st, 2017
- Fears for Civilians as Tal Afar Operation Moves Forward; 12 Killed in Iraq – August 20th, 2017
- Tal Afar Operation Starts; 91 Killed in Iraq – August 19th, 2017
- 45 Killed in Iraq as Troops Gather Around Tal Afar – August 18th, 2017