HRW Concerned over Detainees; 130 Killed in Iraq
Human Rights Watch released a report detailing the conditions some detainees, including children as young as 13, are suffering in makeshift prisons. About 1,000 fighters in the Ezidkhan Protection Force were folded into the Kurdish Peshmerga, but not without some controversy over which members did not make the cut. The Yazidi group operates in the Sinjar area.
At least 130 were killed and 126 were wounded:
In Mosul, artillery fire and strikes killed 25 civilians and wounded 117 more. A bomb in the Salam neighborhood killed eight civilians and wounded five more. Clashes in Bab al-Toub left three soldiers dead and four wounded. A possible chemical attack near the Ashur Hotel sickened a number of soldiers and journalists (video). Twenty militants were killed in Neft. Fifteen were killed in Hadar. Five more militants were killed at a market.
A civilian was shot dead in Kirkuk.
Security forces repelled attacks in Harariyat and the Makhoul Mountains, where they killed 32 militants.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Pause in Mosul Fight; 37 Killed in Iraq – March 25th, 2017
- Sadrists Hold Rally in Baghdad; 60 Killed in Iraq – March 24th, 2017
- Mortars Target Civilians in Mosul; 109 Killed in Iraq – March 22nd, 2017
- New Reports of Chemical Weapons in Mosul; 47 Killed in Iraq – March 21st, 2017
- 117 Killed in Iraq; ISIS Captures 9 Officers in Mosul – March 20th, 2017