Iraqi forces captured the Nineveh provincial government buildings in Mosul, a symbolic victory in the battle against the Islamic State militants. Also taken back was the Mosul University campus. And, security forces are in control of a bridge leading to the western half of Mosul.
Hundreds of civilians continue to stream out of Hawija.
At least 118 were killed in recent violence:
Turkish jets killed 11 guerrillas during a January 6 mission targeting Kurdistan Workers Party (P.K.K.) locations in the Qandil Mountains.
In Mosul, 30 militants were killed in Kafa’at and the adjust university campus. Twenty-five militants were killed in heavy fighting in the Faisaliya, Nasser, and Sadriya districts. Another 38 were killed in northern neighborhoods. In the southeast, 14 were killed.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Security Forces Shoot Protesters in Kirkuk, Khanaqin; 18 Killed in Iraq – October 19th, 2017
- Peshmerga Casualty Figures Raised; 90 Killed in Iraq – October 18th, 2017
- Kurds Begin Return Home to Kirkuk; Eight Killed in Iraq – October 17th, 2017
- Kurds Flee as Baghdad Captures Kirkuk; 60 Killed, 133 Wounded – October 16th, 2017
- Iraq Forgets ISIS, Moves Against Kirkuk; 15 Killed in Iraq – October 15th, 2017