Iraqi forces captured the Nineveh provincial government buildings in Mosul, a symbolic victory in the battle against the Islamic State militants. Also taken back was the Mosul University campus. And, security forces are in control of a bridge leading to the western half of Mosul.
Hundreds of civilians continue to stream out of Hawija.
At least 118 were killed in recent violence:
Turkish jets killed 11 guerrillas during a January 6 mission targeting Kurdistan Workers Party (P.K.K.) locations in the Qandil Mountains.
In Mosul, 30 militants were killed in Kafa’at and the adjust university campus. Twenty-five militants were killed in heavy fighting in the Faisaliya, Nasser, and Sadriya districts. Another 38 were killed in northern neighborhoods. In the southeast, 14 were killed.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Many Casualties in Mosul Attacks; 151 Killed in Iraq – June 23rd, 2017
- Teenagers Blown-up by Old Landmine; 46 Killed in Iraq – June 22nd, 2017
- Great Mosque Destroyed in Mosul; 91 Killed in Iraq – June 21st, 2017
- Chemical Weapons Report in Mosul; 84 Killed in Iraq – June 20th, 2017
- 92 Killed in Iraq, Including French and Kurdish Journalists – June 19th, 2017