Iraqi forces in Mosul fired shots into the air to disperse an unruly crowd that had gathered around aid delivery trucks. After six weeks, food supplies are running low. Fresh water is also difficult to come by, because a water main was destroyed. Also, a sandstorm that had been helping the Islamic State militants is subsiding.
At least 115 people were killed and 124 were wounded in recent violence:
In Mosul, shelling left 25 civilians dead and 80 wounded. Twelve people were killed and 30 were injured in a suicide bombing. Up to 40 militants were killed during a clearing operation. Resistance forces stabbed a militant commander to death. An airstrike killed a militant who worked at a radio station; he was a rapper and dissident from Tunisia.
Militants killed 12 people near Shirqat on Friday night.
A fire at the Debaga displacement camp killed two refugees and wounded seven more.
In Baghdad, a bomb killed two people and wounded seven more in Sabaa al-Bour.
Two militants were killed in Anbar province when they tried to attack an army barracks.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Turkish Jets Strike PKK Camps; 38 Killed Across Iraq – December 11th, 2017
- Victory Parade in Green Zone; Seven Injured Across Iraq – December 10th, 2017
- Scattered Attacks Leave 51 Killed Across Iraq – December 9th, 2017
- Christians Again Displaced; 13 Killed in Iraq – December 8th, 2017
- Clashes Reported in Kirkuk; 31 Killed Across Iraq – December 7th, 2017