In Mosul, counter-terrorism forces captured a state-owned television station building. Troops also reached the Judaidat al-Mufti neighborhood. At least 296 security personnel have been killed in the last week in Mosul. About 40,000 people have fled the city.
Militants attempted to move 25,000 human shields out of Hammam al-Alil but were thwarted by strikes.
Shalalat, Sharezad, and Twila were reported freed.
At least 202 people were killed and 52 were wounded in recent violence:
In Mosul, at least one soldier was killed and another was wounded. Militants killed 40 men believed to have been soldiers from Shura and Hammam al-Alil, and then they tossed the bodies into the Tigris River.
Airstrikes on a hotel in Mosul left 67 militants dead. Another 35 were killed in clashes in Gogjiali. In Ghabat, strike left 29 militants dead and 25 wounded. At least 20 more were killed and 15 were wounded in other strikes.
Four people were killed and nine were wounded by a bomb on a highway near Hawija.
A bomb in Muqdadiya wounded two tribal fighters.
Security forces in Shalalat killed a militant leader and his aide.
In Haditha, security forces killed three suicide bombers.
A suicide bomber was killed in Metabijh.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Kirkuk Blast Targets Political Party; 24 Killed in Iraq – September 19th, 2018
- Roadside Bombs Target Buses; 18 Killed in Iraq – September 18th, 2018
- Water Sickens Baghdad Soccer Team in Basra; 14 Killed or Found Dead in Iraq – September 17th, 2018
- Troops Deployed to Turkish Border; 20 Killed in Iraq – September 16th, 2018
- Children Found in Mosul Mass Grave; 11 Killed or Found Dead in Iraq – September 15th, 2018