Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi announced the start of the operation against the Islamic State militants in Mosul. Infighting among forces has already started as well. Nineveh tribal leaders held a conference where they rejected the use of foreign, regional, and Shi’ite militia forces in the operation. Also, the operation to liberate Hawija has been postponed.
Saudi Arabia has reassigned its ambassador to Iraq, Thamer al-Sabhan. In August, Sabhan had made negative comments concerning Iran’s involvement in Iraq and the treatment of Sunni Iraqis. The new chargé d’affaires is Abdulaziz al-Shamri who was the Saudis military attaché posted in Germany.
At least 131 people were killed and 28 were wounded:
Refugees from Dibis came across a roadside bomb. Four were killed and five were wounded.
A bomb in Sensil left one militiaman dead and two wounded.
An airstrike against a convoy near Rawa left about 45 militants dead.
In Mosul, 25 militants were killed for desertion.
Twenty militants were killed when they tried to attack a Haditha checkpoint.
A strike on Tal Keif killed eight militants.
Six militants were killed in strikes on Flifil and Renbausi.
Three militant commanders were killed in a strike on their convoy near Hawija.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Iraqi Troops Still Chasing ISIS; 39 Killed in Iraq – December 17th, 2017
- More Yazidi Victims Found in Mass Graves; 97 Killed in Iraq – December 16th, 2017
- Suicide Bomber Attacks Militia; 15 Killed in Iraq – December 15th, 2017
- Dozens of Sunnis Executed on Terror Charges; 53 Killed in Iraq – December 14th, 2017
- ISIS Attacks Troops, Mass Grave Found; 68 Killed in Iraq – December 13th, 2017