An Assyrian Christian militia, Nineveh Plains Protection Units, liberated the Assyrian town of Badanah, which had been held for two years. It marks the first time a Christian militia has liberated a Christian village.
In a statement released on Friday, Shi’ite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr asked civil servants, except security personnel, to strike on Sunday and Monday. The strike is to protest government corruption.
Former Prime Minister Ayad Allawi said that he believes Parliament is no longer able to perform some of its important functions.
At least 71 were killed and 59 were wounded:
The number of casualties in a clash in Metabijh on Friday rose significantly to 24 killed and 60 injured. That’s an increase of 15 dead and 36 wounded. Some security personnel went missing during the fighting.
A car bomb in Tuz Khormato killed six people and wounded nine more. It was the second of two bombs in the city.
Militants killed three women and wounded three men in Hit after launching rockets from Khalidiya Island.
In Baghdad, a bomb killed two people and wounded seven more in Amiriya.
One soldier was killed and four were wounded in a blast in Taji.
An airstrike on Albu Assaf killed 18 militants.
Dozens of militants were killed in the recently liberated Khalidiya Island.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Turkish Jets Strike PKK Camps; 38 Killed Across Iraq – December 11th, 2017
- Victory Parade in Green Zone; Seven Injured Across Iraq – December 10th, 2017
- Scattered Attacks Leave 51 Killed Across Iraq – December 9th, 2017
- Christians Again Displaced; 13 Killed in Iraq – December 8th, 2017
- Clashes Reported in Kirkuk; 31 Killed Across Iraq – December 7th, 2017