An Assyrian Christian militia, Nineveh Plains Protection Units, liberated the Assyrian town of Badanah, which had been held for two years. It marks the first time a Christian militia has liberated a Christian village.
In a statement released on Friday, Shi’ite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr asked civil servants, except security personnel, to strike on Sunday and Monday. The strike is to protest government corruption.
Former Prime Minister Ayad Allawi said that he believes Parliament is no longer able to perform some of its important functions.
At least 71 were killed and 59 were wounded:
The number of casualties in a clash in Metabijh on Friday rose significantly to 24 killed and 60 injured. That’s an increase of 15 dead and 36 wounded. Some security personnel went missing during the fighting.
A car bomb in Tuz Khormato killed six people and wounded nine more. It was the second of two bombs in the city.
Militants killed three women and wounded three men in Hit after launching rockets from Khalidiya Island.
In Baghdad, a bomb killed two people and wounded seven more in Amiriya.
One soldier was killed and four were wounded in a blast in Taji.
An airstrike on Albu Assaf killed 18 militants.
Dozens of militants were killed in the recently liberated Khalidiya Island.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- ISIS Commander Blamed for Iran Attack among 18 Killed in Iraq – October 16th, 2018
- 51 Bodies in ISIS Mass Grave; Three Killed in Iraq – October 15th, 2018
- Sadr Colleague Among Seven Killed; 30 Found in Iraq Mass Grave – October 14th, 2018
- Mass Grave Gives up 78 Victims; 11 Recently Killed in Iraq – October 13th, 2018
- 30 Bodies in Mass Grave near Mosul; Two Killed in Iraq – October 11th, 2018