Iraq executed 36 people convicted of participating in the mass slaughter of hundreds of security personnel at Camp Speicher in 2014. The men were hanged in Nasariya. Many human rights groups warn that the Iraqi justice system is flawed if not outright corrupt, so many of these men could have been innocent. A total of 45 executions were carried out this year, so far.
At least 238 people were killed and 13 more wounded:
In Mosul, militants executed 40 people for conspiracy or people smuggling. They executed four more, including two of their own, on sodomy charges. An airstrike on the Dindan neighborhood left 10 militants dead. Nineteen militants were killed in a strike on Mithraq. Another 20 were killed in a strike on central Mosul.
The remains of 30 policemen were found in a mass grave in Jawaana.
A battle in Sinjar al-Kazak left 10 Peshmerga and 30 militants dead.
Two people were killed and nine were wounded in Mahmoudiya when a bomb exploded at a market.
Security forces killed 30 militants who were trying to sneak across the Euphrates River from Albu Diab to Albu Aitha.
A roadside bomb in Tal Keif killed six militants.
Four militants were killed in a strike in Nineveh province.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Mass Grave Yields 48 ISIS fighters; Seven Killed in Iraq – July 19th, 2018
- Kurdish-Iranian Activist Assassinated; Five Killed in Iraq – July 18th, 2018
- Jobs Protests Continue in the South; 36 Killed, 77 Wounded in Iraq – July 17th, 2018
- Peshmerga Killed in New Anti-ISIS Operation; 10 Killed in Iraq – July 16th, 2018
- Protests Enter Second Week; 14 Killed, 366 Wounded in Iraq – July 15th, 2018