Germany resumed shipping weapons to Kurdish forces in northern Iraq after the Kurdish government promised to prevent arms from being re-sold. Shipments were suspended in January when some arms reached the black market. A number of people were arrested.
Maj. Gen. Muhsin Rasheed, who is the director of the Peshmerga Ministry’s health department, admitted that thousands of Peshmerga members are wounded but not receiving adequate health care due to lack of funds. The major general believes that many Peshmerga lives could have been saved if better care had been available.
Security forces said that 700 militants were killed in the operation to liberate Khalidiya Island, which has been ongoing even though Khalidiya was declared liberated two weeks ago.
At least 128 people were killed and 22 more wounded:
Thirteen bodies were discovered during a search of illicit militant prisons in Fallujah.
A bomb in Baghdad killed one person and wounded seven more.
A clash in Azhdagh left three Asayesh members wounded and four suspected militants dead.
Four Peshmerga were wounded in clashes near Tuz Khormato.
Security forces killed 12 militants in the Qayara area.
In Hit, an airstrike killed 10 militants.
Seven militant leaders were killed in a strike on Eqab Valley.
Peshmerga in Daquq killed six militants and wounded eight more.
A strike on Albu Ali al-Jassim left five militants dead.
Security forces killed three militants in Tarmiya.
At the Mosul Dam, three militants were killed.
A suicide bomber was killed in Khalidiya Island.
Dozens of militants were killed during operations in Haditha.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Looting, Violence Continues in Captured Towns; 57 Killed in Iraq – October 22nd, 2017
- Displaced Kurds Told Hometown Unsafe for Them to Return; 22 Killed in Iraq – October 21st, 2017
- Civilian Casualties in Battle at Kurdish Border; 67 Killed in Iraq – October 20th, 2017
- Security Forces Shoot Protesters in Kirkuk, Khanaqin; 18 Killed in Iraq – October 19th, 2017
- Peshmerga Casualty Figures Raised; 90 Killed in Iraq – October 18th, 2017