Peshmerga forces advanced towards Gwer and reclaimed a dozen villages on Sunday. Coalition jets supported the mission, and Kurdish counter-terrorism forces sneaked into the villages ahead of the operation.
At least 195 people were killed and 12 more wounded:
During operations around Gwer, a journalist was killed and another was wounded. An anonymous source said seven Peshmerga were killed, while another 11 or more were wounded. Sources say 120 militants were killed.
Rockets launched near Bashiqa killed three Peshmerga personnel.
Gunmen killed two civilians near Abbara.
A strike on Albu Ali Jassim left 17 militants dead.
Fifteen militants were killed in a strike on Albu Nimr.
Near Ramadi, security forces killed six militants.
A suicide bomber was killed in Hit.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Suicide Bomber Attacks Militia; 15 Killed in Iraq – December 15th, 2017
- Dozens of Sunnis Executed on Terror Charges; 53 Killed in Iraq – December 14th, 2017
- ISIS Attacks Troops, Mass Grave Found; 68 Killed in Iraq – December 13th, 2017
- UN Probes Right Abuses in Restive Tuz Khormato; Seven Killed in Iraq – December 12th, 2017
- Turkish Jets Strike PKK Camps; 38 Killed Across Iraq – December 11th, 2017