The United Nations warned Iraq that hastening death sentences for accused militants would likely increase the number of innocent people executed for crimes they did not commit. Zeid Ra’ad Al Hussein, the U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights said that Iraq suffers from a "a consistent failure to respect due process and fair trial standards, including a reliance on torture to extract confessions.”
Iraqi Defense Minister Khalid al-Obeidi appeared in Parliament to address allegations of corruption. Instead of responding to the charges, he turned the tables and accused several others of corruption, including Speaker Salim al-Jabouri.
The General Directorate of Health in Dohuk province reported the births of 18,995 babies in displaced persons camps since August 2014 but criticized a lack of assistance from Baghdad.
At least 116 people were killed and 22 were wounded in recent violence:
In Baghdad, a bomb killed two people and wounded four in the neighborhood of Jafri Naddaf. One person was killed and seven were wounded in a Shabb bombing. An airstrike north of the city left a wali and several assistants dead.
A child was killed and five others were wounded by a roadside blast in Tel al-Wared. The group was trying to flee Daesh territory.
Gunmen killed a civilian in Jurf al-Meleh.
A soldier was killed and two more were wounded by a sniper in Tarmiya.
Clashes in Nukhaib left four security members wounded and seven militants dead.
Fighting to free Jazirat al-Khalidiya left 73 militants dead.
A strike on Romana left 25 militants dead.
At least two suicide bombers were killed in Thar Thar.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Peshmerga Forces Beaten at Checkpoint; Seven Killed in Iraq – July 21st, 2018
- Amnesty Accuses Baghdad of Attacking Protesters; 4 Killed, 46 Wounded in Iraq – July 20th, 2018
- Mass Grave Yields 48 ISIS fighters; Seven Killed in Iraq – July 19th, 2018
- Kurdish-Iranian Activist Assassinated; Five Killed in Iraq – July 18th, 2018
- Jobs Protests Continue in the South; 36 Killed, 77 Wounded in Iraq – July 17th, 2018