A deputy chairman for the Hashd al-Shaabi reversed an earlier declaration that Shi’ite militias would storm Fallujah. Abu Mahdi Muhandis said the militias have completed their role in the operation but would accept orders to enter Fallujah if asked.
The Iraqi government is launching an investigation into reports that security forces have been abusing civilians during the Fallujah operation.
Separately, U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon condemned the use of minors as child soldiers by both the Islamic State militants and the Shi’ite militias.
Militants have shot an unknown number of civilians trying to escape Fallujah. However, about 18,000 from the city and surrounding towns have reached refugee camps.
At least 487 were killed or found dead, and 14 more were wounded:
A mass grave containing about 400 bodies was discovered in the Shuhada neighborhood of recently liberated Saqlawiya. Many of the victims were Iraqi soldiers believed executed in 2014 and 2015.
Three people were killed and seven were wounded in Abu Ghraib.
In Baghdad, a bomb killed two people and wounded seven more.
Eighteen militants were killed during an attack on Sinjar.
In Tal Askaf, security forces killed 10 militants.
Dozens of militants were killed in Albu Hoy.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- 51 Bodies in ISIS Mass Grave; Three Killed in Iraq – October 15th, 2018
- Sadr Colleague Among Seven Killed; 30 Found in Iraq Mass Grave – October 14th, 2018
- Mass Grave Gives up 78 Victims; 11 Recently Killed in Iraq – October 13th, 2018
- 30 Bodies in Mass Grave near Mosul; Two Killed in Iraq – October 11th, 2018
- ISIS Attack on Oil Field; 15 Killed in Iraq – October 10th, 2018