A massive operation was launched near Mosul according to Kurdish officials, with the hopes that it will increase pressure on Islamic State militants. Coalition forces, possibly American, were seen assisting Peshmerga troops near the Khazar frontlines. Several towns were liberated including Mufti, Tal Aswad, Tal Band, and Zahra Khatun,
Saudi Arabia’s Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir called Iran’s military presence in Iraq “unacceptable” and demanded Iran to stop meddling in Iraqi affairs.
At least 100 people were killed and 56 were wounded:
Militants claimed to have killed 40 security personnel during an attack in Hit. Iraqi forces counter-claims that only five personnel were wounded. As a rule, Baghdad has been undercounting military casualties, so either figure could be correct. They both may be correct.
In Karmardi, a suicide bomber killed 11 tribal fighters.
Gunmen killed a civilian on a highway near Muqdadiya.
In Imam Talib, a soldier was shot and wounded.
Nineteen militants were killed in the Makhmour area.
A strike on Rashidiya killed 12 militants.
During the operations near Mosul, at least five suicide bombers were killed.
A militant security officer was killed in an airstrike on Albu Bali.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- UN Probes Right Abuses in Restive Tuz Khormato; Seven Killed in Iraq – December 12th, 2017
- Turkish Jets Strike PKK Camps; 38 Killed Across Iraq – December 11th, 2017
- Victory Parade in Green Zone; Seven Injured Across Iraq – December 10th, 2017
- Scattered Attacks Leave 51 Killed Across Iraq – December 9th, 2017
- Christians Again Displaced; 13 Killed in Iraq – December 8th, 2017