In a televised speech, Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi warned that the political impasse has given the Islamic State militants a helping hand. Parliament’s resistance to political change has caused massive protests in Baghdad that divert security forces from fighting the militants.
Violence left at least 362 dead and 59 wounded:
A heavy battle took place in Albu Diab. At least 33 security personnel and 157 militants were killed.
Seven security personnel were killed and 10 were wounded during the liberation of Juba. Security forces killed 33 militants.
Militants attacked Amiriyat al-Falluja to distract security personnel who are closing in on nearby Fallujah. Five security members were killed and 18 were wounded. One civilian also died. At least 14 militants were killed.
Two people were killed and eight were wounded by a blast in Madaen.
In Albu Hayat, a suicide bomber killed two policemen and wounded six more.
Forty militants were killed in airstrikes on a gathering in Hajj Ali.
In Rutba, strikes killed 26 militants and wounded eight more.
Airstrikes near Riyadh left 17 militants dead.
Shelling killed 12 militants on Bashiqa.
Four suicide bombers were killed as they tried to attack a shrine in Balad.
In Albu Ziyab, four militants were killed.
A suicide bomber ignited an operation that led to the liberation of Wardiya.
A strike on Barwana killed a suicide bomber.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Seven U.S. Airmen Among 131 Killed in Iraq – March 16th, 2018
- U.S. Military Helicopter Crash; 63 Killed in Iraq – March 15th, 2018
- Mass Grave Found Near Kirkuk; 29 Killed in Iraq – March 14th, 2018
- Militiaman Shoots P.M.’s Security Officer; 32 Killed in Iraq – March 13th, 2018
- Scattered ISIS Attacks near Kirkuk; 54 Killed in Iraq – March 12th, 2018