About 12,000 families have returned to Ramadi, according to Mayor Ibrahim al-Osaj. Citizens may return to cleared neighborhoods after going through security checks, unless their neighborhoods were completely ruined. Water has been restored to about 80 percent of the city.
Security forces freed about 1,000 people in Hit, as they gained more ground from Islamic State militants.
Islamic state militants reportedly are allowing residents of Rutba to evacuate. Mayor Emad al-Delimi asked them not to leave, so the militants could not booby-trap the abandoned residences.
Frequent Turkish airstrikes against Kurdistan Workers Party (P.K.K.) in northern Iraq have emptied dozens of villages along the border.
At least 231 people were killed and 143 were wounded:
Six civilians were killed and four were wounded while trying to flee the Zab area.
A roadside bomb in Tarmiya killed two militiamen and wounded four more.
In Baghdad, a bomb killed one person and wounded another five near shops in Shabb.
A civilian was shot dead in Abu Saida.
A roadside bomb near a barbershop in Mussayab wounded one person.
Strikes on Kasriyat left 35 militants dead.
In Qayara, 26 militants were killed during airstrikes.
In Falluja, strikes left 25 militants dead and 30 wounded.
Strikes on Ramadi left 17 militants dead and 23 wounded.
Security forces killed 17 militants in Shirqat.
Sixteen militants were killed in strikes against Baghdadi.
Peshmerga forces killed 14 militants in Khazar.
Ten militants were killed in a failed attack on Nasr.
Artillery fire in Falahat left six militants dead.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Jobs Protests Continue in the South; 36 Killed, 77 Wounded in Iraq – July 17th, 2018
- Peshmerga Killed in New Anti-ISIS Operation; 10 Killed in Iraq – July 16th, 2018
- Protests Enter Second Week; 14 Killed, 366 Wounded in Iraq – July 15th, 2018
- Two Killed, 33 Injured in Continuing Protests in Southern Iraq – July 14th, 2018
- Protests Spread Through Southern Provinces; 7 Killed, 57 Wounded in Iraq – July 13th, 2018