140 Killed in Iraq as Forces Draw Nearer to Mosul
Backed by American airstrikes, Iraqi forces took back several villages outside Makhmour. Several more villages were liberated in the Qayara area. Col. Steve Warren, the U.S. military spokesman in Baghdad, denied the operation as the launching of an assault on Mosul, but the Iraqi Army described it as such. Also, U.S. ground troops participated in the operation.
Kurdish forces prevented a group of Shi’ite militiamen from reaching Tuz Khormato. Tensions between Shi’ite and Kurdish forces have been running high for months.
At least 140 were killed and 34 were wounded:
In Baghdad, a blast targeting a police patrol killed one and wounded five more.
Five bodyguards were wounded in an attack on an Iraqi commander near Baghdadi.
In Qayara, security forces killed 15 militants at the post office. With the help of U.S. artillery fire, security forces crossed the Tigris River into Qayara from the direction of Makhmour. An airstrike killed 12 militants and wounded nine more
Airstrikes killed 35 militants at a rocket manufacturing facility in Hawija.
In Jeraishi, 33 militants were killed and 15 were wounded.
Seventeen militants were killed in Suhha.
Peshmerga forces in Ba’Shiqah and Noran killed a dozen militants and wounded many more.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Mass Executions in Mosul; 145 Killed in Iraq – September 25th, 2016
- Attack on Security Chiefs near Tikrit; 87 Killed in Iraq – September 24th, 2016
- UK Ramps Up Strikes; 16 Killed in Iraq – September 23rd, 2016
- Militants Immolate Civilians; 216 Killed in Iraq – September 22nd, 2016
- Shirqat Close to Liberated; 60 Killed in Iraq – September 21st, 2016