Syrian Border Post Recaptured; 146 Killed in Iraq
About 200,000 people attended a demonstration in Baghdad, calling for government reform. Via a television broadcast, Shi’ite cleric Moqtada al-Sadr gave a speech demanding that promised reforms be carried out. Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi has been unable to keep those promises.
A U.N. team has visited Ramadi and concluded that the destruction is worse than anywhere else in Iraq. Many buildings, including the hospital, are destroyed, as in the electrical grid.
Syrian rebels took control of the al-Tanf border crossing from Islamic rebels. The crossing is near the city of Rutba.
At least 146 militants were killed and four civilians were wounded:
A roadside bomb wounded four civilians trying to escape Sharqat.
Islamic State militants staged a major attack against Peshmerga forces west of Mosul, including the Mosul Dam area. About 100 militants were killed.
Twenty militants were killed in an airstrike on Burwana.
An artillery strike on Sultan Abdullah killed 18 militants.
In Qayara, an airstrike killed eight militants, including a wali.
A large militant convoy in the Thar Thar area was destroyed.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- ISIS Attacks Border Checkpoint; 117 Killed in Iraq – February 24th, 2017
- Mosul Airport, Army Base Captured; 83 Killed in Iraq – February 23rd, 2017
- U.S. Forces Shot at in Mosul; 130 Killed in Iraq – February 22nd, 2017
- Civilians Flee Renewed Fighting in Mosul; 155 Killed in Iraq – February 21st, 2017
- Non-combat Death of U.S. Servicemember; 144 Others Killed in Iraq – February 20th, 2017