Major Operation Underway in Samarra; 131 Killed in Iraq
Italy announced that 130 troops will be deployed to protect Italian personnel at the Mosul Dam. Eight helicopters will also be sent.
Intertribal fighting continues in Basra despite Baghdad’s attempts to quash it.
At least 131 were killed and 34 were wounded:
A police officer was shot dead in Kirkuk.
Militants in Hawija executed six security personnel.
A 12-year-old militant girl reportedly executed five women, including a doctor, in Ghazlani Camp.
A bomb in Baghdad killed two people and wounded eight more.
In Bashir, a bomb killed two Turkmen and wounded three more.
Three civilians were wounded by a blast in Madaen.
Airstrikes near Camp Speicher killed 17 militants.
Thirteen militants were killed and two were wounded during operations in Garma.
Airstrikes killed 12 militants near Sinjar.
Security forces killed a dozen militants in Hamediya.
Nine militants were killed in strikes against Bartala.
Airstrike on Hamdaniya killed seven militants.
In Mosul, airstrikes killed six militants.
Six militants were killed in Hitaween.
Five militants were killed in Nuaimiya.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Baghdad Claims Progress in Falluja; 164 Killed Across Iraq – May 23rd, 2016
- Falluja Operation Begins; 219 Killed in Iraq – May 22nd, 2016
- Protest Casualties Higher; 65 Killed, 506 Wounded in Iraq – May 21st, 2016
- 21 Killed, 124 Wounded in Iraq; Baghdad Protests Turn Deadly – May 20th, 2016
- 53 Killed in Iraq; Security Forces Draw Closer to Jordanian Border – May 19th, 2016