54 Killed in Iraq as Forces Prepare to Storm Hit
Shi’ite cleric Moqtada al-Sadr called on the government to implement promised reforms or he would quit politics. His al-Ahrar bloc holds a significant 34 seats in parliament.
Hundreds of Sadr’s followers demonstrated in Baghdad in support following the pronouncement.
Anbar police authorities said that security forces are preparing to attack Hit and Kubeisa.
At least 54 were killed and 13 were killed:
In Mahmoudiya, a bomb at a market killed two people and wounded nine others.
An explosion heard in Muthanna province is believed to have come from a landmine that harmed children. Authorities deny it was a Saudi rocket.
Sixteen militants were killed in airstrikes on Layn and the Makhoul Mountains.
In Albu Diab, 16 more militants were killed in strikes.
Five militants were killed during a strike on Shiha village.
Two suicide bombers were killed in Thar Thar.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Suicide bombers Attack Refugee Camp; 96 Killed in Iraq – August 26th, 2016
- Fleeing Civilians Shot; 116 Killed in Iraq – August 25th, 2016
- Qayara Reported Liberated; 111 Killed in Iraq – August 24th, 2016
- Fighting Continues in Khalidiya; 189 Killed in Iraq – August 23rd, 2016
- 46 Killed in Iraq, Including British Demining Contractor – August 22nd, 2016