Suicide Bomber Strikes near US Base; 125 Killed Across Iraq
Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi rejected plans for building a concrete barrier and trench around Baghdad. Instead, Abadi said, checkpoints would be reorganized to provide added security and easier transit.
Violence left 125 dead and 45 wounded:
A suicide bomber attacked a convoy on a road near the Ayn al-Asad air base, killing 15 security personnel and wounding 21 more. The base is home to U.S. personnel.
Six security personnel were killed and five were wounded when they were searching through a booby-trapped home in Sufiya.
Three suicide bombers and four other militants were killed in an attack at a military base in Nadhem al-Tharthar that also left seven wounded security members.
Security forces in Juwiba freed 64 hostages.
Thirty-seven militants were killed in Albu Shejil.
The accidental explosion of a booby-trapped car at a bomb factory in Falluja killed 32 militants.
In the Baghdadi area, 18 militants were killed.
Airstrikes left seven militants dead and 12 wounded at Saddam Village.
At the Alas oil fields, two militants were killed. One was a Daesh media official.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Baghdad Claims Progress in Falluja; 164 Killed Across Iraq – May 23rd, 2016
- Falluja Operation Begins; 219 Killed in Iraq – May 22nd, 2016
- Protest Casualties Higher; 65 Killed, 506 Wounded in Iraq – May 21st, 2016
- 21 Killed, 124 Wounded in Iraq; Baghdad Protests Turn Deadly – May 20th, 2016
- 53 Killed in Iraq; Security Forces Draw Closer to Jordanian Border – May 19th, 2016