Army Advances in Sajariya as 186 Are Killed in Iraq
According to U.S. Army Lt. Gen. Sean MacFarland, the U.S. military has created a contingency plan should the Mosul Dam collapse. The risk of catastrophic failure has not yet been calculated, but the dam has very alarming flaws. Total collapse could endanger even Baghdad.
The Pentagon told U.S. President Barack Obama that more troops are needed in the fight against the Islamic State militants.
At least 186 were killed in recent violence, and 15 more were wounded:
Troops have entered Sajariya.
Militants killed three tribal fighters and wounded two more at the Muqdadiya checkpoint.
Security forces killed 60 militants in Thar Thar.
In Husayba, 28 militants were killed.
Nineteen militants were killed during strikes on Hadar.
As many as 16 militants were killed when a booby-trapped bicycle exploded in Mahlbah. It is unclear if the bombing was accidental or deliberate.
In Khalidiya, 15 militants were killed, including a well known one.
Shelling left 12 militants dead in Ba’Shiqah.
Airstrikes on oil tankers in Tal Afar left 11 militants dead.
Security forces killed nine militants, including a commander, during battles in Subaihat.
In Mosul, strikes killed seven militant doctors.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Mass Grave Found in Fallujah; 125 Killed in Iraq – July 27th, 2016
- 74 Killed in Iraq, Including Family Fleeing ISIS – July 26th, 2016
- Bomber Strike East of Baghdad; 138 Killed in Iraq – July 25th, 2016
- 164 Killed in Iraq; Bombers Strike near Shi’ite Shrine – July 24th, 2016
- 78 Killed in Iraq; Bombs Rattle Baghdad, Shirqat – July 23rd, 2016