Army Advances in Sajariya as 186 Are Killed in Iraq
According to U.S. Army Lt. Gen. Sean MacFarland, the U.S. military has created a contingency plan should the Mosul Dam collapse. The risk of catastrophic failure has not yet been calculated, but the dam has very alarming flaws. Total collapse could endanger even Baghdad.
The Pentagon told U.S. President Barack Obama that more troops are needed in the fight against the Islamic State militants.
At least 186 were killed in recent violence, and 15 more were wounded:
Troops have entered Sajariya.
Militants killed three tribal fighters and wounded two more at the Muqdadiya checkpoint.
Security forces killed 60 militants in Thar Thar.
In Husayba, 28 militants were killed.
Nineteen militants were killed during strikes on Hadar.
As many as 16 militants were killed when a booby-trapped bicycle exploded in Mahlbah. It is unclear if the bombing was accidental or deliberate.
In Khalidiya, 15 militants were killed, including a well known one.
Shelling left 12 militants dead in Ba’Shiqah.
Airstrikes on oil tankers in Tal Afar left 11 militants dead.
Security forces killed nine militants, including a commander, during battles in Subaihat.
In Mosul, strikes killed seven militant doctors.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Bombers Targeting Baghdad; 41 Killed in Iraq – December 9th, 2016
- Soldiers Retreat after Bloody Battles in Mosul; 229 Killed in Iraq – December 8th, 2016
- Bombers Successful in Mosul, Baghdad; 129 Killed in Iraq – December 7th, 2016
- Bus Bomb Explodes at Mosul Market; 35 Killed in Iraq – December 6th, 2016
- Displaced Executed near Kirkuk; 110 Killed in Iraq – December 5th, 2016