According to U.S. Army Lt. Gen. Sean MacFarland, the U.S. military has created a contingency plan should the Mosul Dam collapse. The risk of catastrophic failure has not yet been calculated, but the dam has very alarming flaws. Total collapse could endanger even Baghdad.
The Pentagon told U.S. President Barack Obama that more troops are needed in the fight against the Islamic State militants.
At least 186 were killed in recent violence, and 15 more were wounded:
Troops have entered Sajariya.
Militants killed three tribal fighters and wounded two more at the Muqdadiya checkpoint.
Security forces killed 60 militants in Thar Thar.
In Husayba, 28 militants were killed.
Nineteen militants were killed during strikes on Hadar.
As many as 16 militants were killed when a booby-trapped bicycle exploded in Mahlbah. It is unclear if the bombing was accidental or deliberate.
In Khalidiya, 15 militants were killed, including a well known one.
Shelling left 12 militants dead in Ba’Shiqah.
Airstrikes on oil tankers in Tal Afar left 11 militants dead.
Security forces killed nine militants, including a commander, during battles in Subaihat.
In Mosul, strikes killed seven militant doctors.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Turkish Jets Strike PKK Camps; 38 Killed Across Iraq – December 11th, 2017
- Victory Parade in Green Zone; Seven Injured Across Iraq – December 10th, 2017
- Scattered Attacks Leave 51 Killed Across Iraq – December 9th, 2017
- Christians Again Displaced; 13 Killed in Iraq – December 8th, 2017
- Clashes Reported in Kirkuk; 31 Killed Across Iraq – December 7th, 2017