ISIS Executes Own Recruiter; 84 Killed in Iraq
Although the Saudi Arabian ambassador to Iraq has been at work for less than two weeks, Thamer al-Sabhan has already created controversy. Iraq’s foreign ministry formally protested Sabhan’s recent remarks on the Hashed al-Shaabi. He had said that Iran-backed Shi’ite militias dominate the paramilitary force, making it unwelcome in Kurdish and Sunni areas. While some Shi’ites were outraged by the suggestion, a Sunni Arab bloc in parliament openly supported the statement.
Violence left at least 84 dead and 30 wounded:
A bomb in Abu Ghraib killed two people and wounded eight more.
Airstrikes on Samarra left 21 militants dead, including a commander.
In Mosul, airstrikes left 18 militants dead.
Fifteen militants were killed in Thar Thar.
Security forces killed 11 militants and wounded six more in Husayba.
Four militants were killed in the Makhoul Mountains.
In Hawija, militants executed a prominent Daesh recruiter on charges of treason.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Bombers Kill, Wound Scores in Baghdad; 83 Killed Across Iraq – September 27th, 2016
- Fighting Ramps up in Anbar province; 112 Killed in Iraq – September 26th, 2016
- Mass Executions in Mosul; 145 Killed in Iraq – September 25th, 2016
- Attack on Security Chiefs near Tikrit; 87 Killed in Iraq – September 24th, 2016
- UK Ramps Up Strikes; 16 Killed in Iraq – September 23rd, 2016