197 Killed in Iraq; ISIS Executes Dozens
The redeployment of security forces from southern Iraq to the frontlines in the northern has allowed criminal gangs and even militiamen to run rampant and create havoc throughout the south. Particularly hard hit is Basra.
The Iraqi military is reporting the death of Assi Ali Mohammed Nasser al-Obeidi during airstrikes on Barwana this week. Obeidi was a second deputy to Islamic State leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.
At least 197 were killed and 22 were wounded:
Militants executed 80 people, including security personnel, in Ghazlani camp.
In Mosul, a dozen people were executed for refusing to fight for Daesh.
A suicide bomber killed 18 security personnel and wounded seven more during a major attack near Haditha. Eight militants were killed in the attack.
A bomb in Baghdad wounded five people, including three children.
In Barwana, 35 militants were killed in airstrikes.
An airstrike in Khalidiya killed 25 militants.
In Riyadh, an airstrike left 15 militants dead and 10 wounded.
Three militants were killed during a strike on Ramadi.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- ISIS Execute Their Own for Desertion; 57 Killed in Iraq – August 28th, 2016
- Executions in Hawija; 175 Killed in Iraq – August 27th, 2016
- Suicide bombers Attack Refugee Camp; 96 Killed in Iraq – August 26th, 2016
- Fleeing Civilians Shot; 116 Killed in Iraq – August 25th, 2016
- Qayara Reported Liberated; 111 Killed in Iraq – August 24th, 2016