197 Killed in Iraq; ISIS Executes Dozens
The redeployment of security forces from southern Iraq to the frontlines in the northern has allowed criminal gangs and even militiamen to run rampant and create havoc throughout the south. Particularly hard hit is Basra.
The Iraqi military is reporting the death of Assi Ali Mohammed Nasser al-Obeidi during airstrikes on Barwana this week. Obeidi was a second deputy to Islamic State leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.
At least 197 were killed and 22 were wounded:
Militants executed 80 people, including security personnel, in Ghazlani camp.
In Mosul, a dozen people were executed for refusing to fight for Daesh.
A suicide bomber killed 18 security personnel and wounded seven more during a major attack near Haditha. Eight militants were killed in the attack.
A bomb in Baghdad wounded five people, including three children.
In Barwana, 35 militants were killed in airstrikes.
An airstrike in Khalidiya killed 25 militants.
In Riyadh, an airstrike left 15 militants dead and 10 wounded.
Three militants were killed during a strike on Ramadi.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- 78 Killed in Iraq; Bombs Rattle Baghdad, Shirqat – July 23rd, 2016
- Sadr Militia to Fight in Mosul; 29 Killed in Iraq – July 22nd, 2016
- More Exposure Deaths near Shirqat; 37 Killed in Iraq – July 21st, 2016
- Death by Exposure for Children Fleeing ISIS; 29 Killed in Iraq – July 20th, 2016
- Dozens of Civilians Executed; 69 Killed Across Iraq – July 19th, 2016