Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi has agreed to a deployment of 200 American ground troops to help with operations against the Islamic State militants.
Security forces have entered central Ramadi, from several directions, and met little resistance. They have also met few civilians. So far, the districts of al-Bakr, Aramel, and Dhubba were retaken. Gen. Sabah al-Numani believes that the entire city will be cleared of militants in just days.
At least 159 were killed and 43 were wounded:
In the Ramadi region:
In the Adnaniya district, fighting left five security members dead and nine wounded.
Airstrikes north of Ramadi killed eight civilians, including children.
In central Ramadi, at least 35 militants were killed early in the battle.
Fourteen militants were killed in Husayba al-Sharqiya.
In Hasiba, security forces killed 17 militants.
A bomb in Baghdad killed one person and wounded nine others.
Airstrikes in the Makhoul Mountains left 19 militants dead, including their commander.
Twelve militants were killed when Peshmerga forces arrived at an asphalt plant in Ba’Shiqah.
In Baaj, militants beheaded four of their own for abandoning their posts. This group may have been beheaded at the same time as six others who were executed yesterday.
At least five militants were killed in airstrikes near Kirkuk.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Attacks Shift to Diyala Province; 11 Killed in Iraq – January 17th, 2018
- Mass Grave at Badush Prison; 66 Killed in Iraq – January 16th, 2018
- Bloody Day in Baghdad; 53 Killed in Iraq – January 15th, 2018
- PKK Launch Rocket at Turkey; Six Killed in Iraq – January 14th, 2018
- Bombers Return to Baghdad; 19 Killed in Iraq – January 13th, 2018