In Basra, demonstrators relinquished control of a road leading to the Umm Qasr port. Dozens of protestors had blocked passage to the port two days ago but returned control of the road when authorities promised to create up to 75 jobs. Also in the southern city, an Italian logistics manager was shot while trying to withdraw money. The shooting is believed to be a simple robbery. A sniper, however, killed a police colonel and wounded a journalist.
At least 188 were killed and 45 were wounded in Basra and elsewhere:
North of Ramadi in Jaramshah, militants killed 23 security members in the third ambush this weekend.
Five Shi’ite militiamen were killed in a roadside bombing north of Baghdad.
Mortar fire in Albu Eitha wounded a major general.
In Tuz, two civilians were shot dead at separate locations.
A civilian and six militants were killed in Ana when the militants accidentally set of a bomb they were working on.
About 22 militants were killed in Tal Afar and al-Ayadiyah.
Twenty militants were killed in airstrikes in the Mosul and Sinjar region.
Another 20 were killed in eastern Salah ad Din province.
Airstrikes on Makhmour killed 12 militants.
Eleven militants were killed in Fatha.
In Haditha, nine militants were killed.
A roadside bomb killed six militants and wounded three more in Baaj.
Six militants were killed in Rutba.
In Baghdad, five militants were killed and two were wounded.
A wali and his three brothers were killed in Qayara.
Three militants were killed in Baiji.
In al-Baghdadi, a suicide bomber was killed.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Protests Enter Second Week; 14 Killed, 366 Wounded in Iraq – July 15th, 2018
- Two Killed, 33 Injured in Continuing Protests in Southern Iraq – July 14th, 2018
- Protests Spread Through Southern Provinces; 7 Killed, 57 Wounded in Iraq – July 13th, 2018
- Oil Field Protests Escalate; 13 Killed in Iraq – July 12th, 2018
- Large ISIS Convoy Crosses over from Syria; 27 Killed in Iraq – July 11th, 2018