Hundreds of refugees escaping the fighting between Turkey and the Kurdistan Workers Party (P.K.K.) are crossing the border into Iraqi Kurdistan. Kurdistan has already taken over a million displaced Iraqis and Syrians fleeing the Islamic State.
Former Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki rejected a parliamentary report blaming him, among others, for the conditions that lead to the takeover of Mosul by Islamic State militants.
At least 101 were killed and 39 were wounded:
In Mosul, five women were stoned to death for not complying with militant law.
Thirteen security personnel were killed and five were wounded during clashes in Baiji.
Clashes in Barwana left seven security members and 15 more wounded. Dozens of fighters were reported killed or wounded as well.
In Tal Kief, mortars killed seven Peshmerga.
A rocket attack killed one civilian and wounded two more in Daquq.
In Albu Eitha, 20 militants were killed.
Sixteen militants killed each other over money and power in Baaj.
Airstrikes killed 15 militants in Baiji.
In Mazraa, eight militants were killed.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Iraqi Troops Still Chasing ISIS; 39 Killed in Iraq – December 17th, 2017
- More Yazidi Victims Found in Mass Graves; 97 Killed in Iraq – December 16th, 2017
- Suicide Bomber Attacks Militia; 15 Killed in Iraq – December 15th, 2017
- Dozens of Sunnis Executed on Terror Charges; 53 Killed in Iraq – December 14th, 2017
- ISIS Attacks Troops, Mass Grave Found; 68 Killed in Iraq – December 13th, 2017