Governor Sohaib al-Rawi of Anbar province followed Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi’s lead and dismissed several aides and advisors who either performed poorly or had been at their posts for over four years. They will be replaced with more qualified candidates, according to the governor.
At least 282 were killed and 278 were wounded:
At least 80 people were killed when truck bomb exploded after sunrise at the Jamila market in Sadr City. More than 208 people were wounded. According to local police, the market is packed on Thursdays with people from neighboring provinces.
A car bomb in Khalis left four dead and 18 wounded.
Three people were gunned down in Yusufiya.
Gunmen killed a woman in Wajihiya.
In Tikrit, two militiamen were killed.
Fifty militants were killed in Albu Adhaim.
Clashes in al-Tahuna left 27 militants dead.
In Husayba, eight militants were killed.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Mass Grave Yields 48 ISIS fighters; Seven Killed in Iraq – July 19th, 2018
- Kurdish-Iranian Activist Assassinated; Five Killed in Iraq – July 18th, 2018
- Jobs Protests Continue in the South; 36 Killed, 77 Wounded in Iraq – July 17th, 2018
- Peshmerga Killed in New Anti-ISIS Operation; 10 Killed in Iraq – July 16th, 2018
- Protests Enter Second Week; 14 Killed, 366 Wounded in Iraq – July 15th, 2018