Governor Sohaib al-Rawi of Anbar province followed Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi’s lead and dismissed several aides and advisors who either performed poorly or had been at their posts for over four years. They will be replaced with more qualified candidates, according to the governor.
At least 282 were killed and 278 were wounded:
At least 80 people were killed when truck bomb exploded after sunrise at the Jamila market in Sadr City. More than 208 people were wounded. According to local police, the market is packed on Thursdays with people from neighboring provinces.
A car bomb in Khalis left four dead and 18 wounded.
Three people were gunned down in Yusufiya.
Gunmen killed a woman in Wajihiya.
In Tikrit, two militiamen were killed.
Fifty militants were killed in Albu Adhaim.
Clashes in al-Tahuna left 27 militants dead.
In Husayba, eight militants were killed.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Random Attacks Rattle North; 23 Killed in Iraq – October 21st, 2018
- Nine Militants Killed During Security Operations in Iraq – October 20th, 2018
- Anti-ISIS Imam Among 11 Killed in Iraq – October 19th, 2018
- Over 2,200 Bodies Exhumed in Mosul Region; Four Killed in Iraq – October 18th, 2018
- Iraq Executes Six Convicts; 14 Others Killed in Attacks – October 17th, 2018