Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi’s reform plan appears to already have hit its first target in Baha al-Araji, who was the deputy prime minister for energy affairs. Araji resigned on Monday, apparently at the behest of Shi’ite cleric Moqtada al-Sadr. He has also been ordered to remain in the country to face a corruption investigation. If Sadr is behind the resignation, it could mean that Abadi’s plan has the cleric’s support.
At least 221 were killed and 162 more were wounded:
In Mosul, 50 people were killed in yet another reported execution. The Islamic State militants may have about 7,000 people in detention.
Eighteen civilians were killed and five were wounded during a rocket attack on Aski Mosul.
A rocket attack on Hassan Shami left 13 Peshmerga dead and three wounded.
Seventeen militants were killed in Bashiqa.
Security forces killed six militants in Khalidiya.
Six militants were killed in Albu Aitha.
In Garma, five militants were killed.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- More Yazidi Victims Found in Mass Graves; 97 Killed in Iraq – December 16th, 2017
- Suicide Bomber Attacks Militia; 15 Killed in Iraq – December 15th, 2017
- Dozens of Sunnis Executed on Terror Charges; 53 Killed in Iraq – December 14th, 2017
- ISIS Attacks Troops, Mass Grave Found; 68 Killed in Iraq – December 13th, 2017
- UN Probes Right Abuses in Restive Tuz Khormato; Seven Killed in Iraq – December 12th, 2017