Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi’s reform plan appears to already have hit its first target in Baha al-Araji, who was the deputy prime minister for energy affairs. Araji resigned on Monday, apparently at the behest of Shi’ite cleric Moqtada al-Sadr. He has also been ordered to remain in the country to face a corruption investigation. If Sadr is behind the resignation, it could mean that Abadi’s plan has the cleric’s support.
At least 221 were killed and 162 more were wounded:
In Mosul, 50 people were killed in yet another reported execution. The Islamic State militants may have about 7,000 people in detention.
Eighteen civilians were killed and five were wounded during a rocket attack on Aski Mosul.
A rocket attack on Hassan Shami left 13 Peshmerga dead and three wounded.
Seventeen militants were killed in Bashiqa.
Security forces killed six militants in Khalidiya.
Six militants were killed in Albu Aitha.
In Garma, five militants were killed.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Anti-ISIS Imam Among 11 Killed in Iraq – October 19th, 2018
- Over 2,200 Bodies Exhumed in Mosul Region; Four Killed in Iraq – October 18th, 2018
- Iraq Executes Six Convicts; 14 Others Killed in Attacks – October 17th, 2018
- ISIS Commander Blamed for Iran Attack among 18 Killed in Iraq – October 16th, 2018
- 51 Bodies in ISIS Mass Grave; Three Killed in Iraq – October 15th, 2018