Iraqis have the Golden Brigade to thank for recent advances by security forces, but they only number about 5,000 men and are already stretched too thin to be counted on for long-term stability, particularly in Anbar province. Meanwhile, the Kataib Hezbollah group is threatening to withdraw from the Fallujah region over what they say is a lack of support from Baghdad and other militia groups. Also, the Badr Organization deployed a group to operate alongside security forces in Nukhaib.
At least 46 were killed and 30 were wounded.
North of Fallujah in Nadhem al-Taqseem, a suicide bomber and several gunmen attacked a convoy carrying Brig. Gen. Hassan Abbas Toufan, killing him and three officers. Toufan was the commander of the Iraqi 1st Division. Several soldiers may have also been killed in the attack.
In Mosul, nine civilians were killed and 12 were wounded in a Coalition airstrike.
Four people were killed and eight were wounded near a souk in Tarmiyah.
A bomb near a Mahmoudiya courthouse killed three and wounded nine more.
In Tuz, a security guard was killed. He worked for the Turkmen Front.
A bomb in Imam Ahmed wounded a civilian.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Iraq Executes Six Convicts; 14 Others Killed in Attacks – October 17th, 2018
- ISIS Commander Blamed for Iran Attack among 18 Killed in Iraq – October 16th, 2018
- 51 Bodies in ISIS Mass Grave; Three Killed in Iraq – October 15th, 2018
- Sadr Colleague Among Seven Killed; 30 Found in Iraq Mass Grave – October 14th, 2018
- Mass Grave Gives up 78 Victims; 11 Recently Killed in Iraq – October 13th, 2018