The U.S. military is turning its attention towards the strategic city of Baiji and away from the humanitarian emergency in Ramadi. At least 313 were killed and 49 more were wounded across the country.
Chairman of the Joint Chiefs Gen. Martin Dempsey said the U.S. has been forced to adjust its current campaign and target militants in the city of Baiji instead of Anbar province. The threat to the oil refinery in Baiji is too great. If lost, it could mean the Islamic State militants would have a significant increase in revenue. The militants returned to Baiji recently in what seemed a strategy meant to take personnel away from the battlefields in Anbar. Security forces killed 42 militants.
The refocus comes as officials in Anbar asked for more airstrikes. Nevertheless, reinforcements arrived and some areas near Ramadi were recovered. Still, people continue to flee the fighting. Four civilians were killed and 43 more were wounded in the battles. Mortars wounded five policemen.
Militants executed 32 civilians in Albu Dhyab village, near Ramadi.
Gunmen killed a Sahwa member and wounded four more in Khalis.
In Husseiniyah, gunmen killed a food vendor.
A bomb in Hambas wounded two soldiers.
In Tikrit, 130 militants were killed.
At least 41 militants were killed in Garma.
Peshmerga forces killed 12 militants in Ba’shiqah.
In Haditha, 13 militants were killed.
Four militants were killed in Suleiman Bek.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Mass Grave Yields 48 ISIS fighters; Seven Killed in Iraq – July 19th, 2018
- Kurdish-Iranian Activist Assassinated; Five Killed in Iraq – July 18th, 2018
- Jobs Protests Continue in the South; 36 Killed, 77 Wounded in Iraq – July 17th, 2018
- Peshmerga Killed in New Anti-ISIS Operation; 10 Killed in Iraq – July 16th, 2018
- Protests Enter Second Week; 14 Killed, 366 Wounded in Iraq – July 15th, 2018