If the Islamic State militants are not defeated quickly, it could spell the end of Aramaic as a living language.
At least 290 were killed and 72 were wounded.
Militants took over a number of villages in the Ramadi area. At least 10 people, two of them civilians, were killed in Albu Ghanim. Witnesses saw bodies in the streets and fear that the militants killing many more. The towns of Albu Khalifa, Sofia, and Sor were also captured. The deputy chairman of Anbar’s provincial council fears that Ramadi will fall soon.
Militants are hiding among the oil tanks at the refinery in Baiji, making it difficult to assault them. A suicide bomber killed 16 refinery workers. Nine militants were also killed. About 70 militants were killed in airstrikes. Also, 13 policemen were killed, including a general, and five more bombers were reported.
In Baghdad, a bomb killed six people and wounded 11 in Jisr Diyala. A bomb in Husseiniya wounded four people. Two Sahwa members were killed in a roadside blast. One person was killed and nine were were wounded by a blast in Wajiriya.
In Albu Jawari and Saniya, airstrikes killed 45 militants.
Two soldiers were killed and two were wounded by a blast in Saidiya.
In Baquba, gunmen killed one civilian and wounded two more.
Security forces in Garma killed 42 militants.
A militant leader was killed in al-Fateha.
In Qaim, airstrikes left 34 militants dead and 19 more wounded.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Turkish Airstrikes Leave Kurdish Fatalities; 14 Killed in Iraq – March 22nd, 2018
- India Abductees Found Dead Near Mosul; 72 Killed in Iraq – March 20th, 2018
- ISIS Attacks on Kirkuk Province Highways; Four Killed in Iraq – March 19th, 2018
- Bodies Pollute River in Mosul; 12 Killed in Iraq – March 18th, 2018
- Seven U.S. Airmen Among 131 Killed in Iraq – March 16th, 2018