Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi will be meeting with U.S. President Barack Obama on Tuesday. One of the topics may be the delivery of 36 F-16 fighter jets that were purchased by Iraq. The war with the Islamic State militants delayed that delivery. An anonymous official now says that the jets will arrive this summer, but the Pentagon has not commented on that timeline. In any case, the premier is likely to ask for more support.
A mass grave containing about 200 bodies was found near Qaim. These may be part of a group of recently executed civilians and security personnel. At least 139 were killed and 46 were wounded.
There are reports that the militants have retaken Baiji refinery. Although it is believed that the militants were only aiming to divert attention from Anbar to Baiji, their capture of the refinery would be a serious setback. At least six suicide bombers were killed in the area.
Militants killed six policemen in Qadisiya.
Four militiamen were executed, possibly near Kirkuk.
Twelve militants were killed in Tikrit.
Airstrikes in Hawija killed 10 militants and wounded 15 more.
Two militants were killed in Garma.
Dozens of militants were killed in Qayara.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Amnesty Accuses Baghdad of Attacking Protesters; 4 Killed, 46 Wounded in Iraq – July 20th, 2018
- Mass Grave Yields 48 ISIS fighters; Seven Killed in Iraq – July 19th, 2018
- Kurdish-Iranian Activist Assassinated; Five Killed in Iraq – July 18th, 2018
- Jobs Protests Continue in the South; 36 Killed, 77 Wounded in Iraq – July 17th, 2018
- Peshmerga Killed in New Anti-ISIS Operation; 10 Killed in Iraq – July 16th, 2018