On Friday, militants attacked Ramadi, halting Iraqi government attempts to liberate outlying areas of the city. Bombers also struck in Baghdad. Across the country, at least 145 were killed and 78 were wounded.
Suicide and car bombs broke military lines in the northern part of Ramadi. At least 25 security personnel were killed. A major general was wounded. At least 31 others were wounded. A militant emir and another leader were killed during the Sijariya fighting.
In the Albu Faraj suburb, the militants stormed the homes of security members and killed 15 family members, prompting hundreds to flee the area. Seven of the victims were children. Albu Aitha was the other district that was taken over.
In Baghdad, a suicide bomber struck at a restaurant serving Shi’ite militiamen, killing seven and wounding 16 more. Five civilians were killed and 12 were wounded by a car bomb blast in Karrada. Another blast wounded two people. A civilian was gunned down.
Over 60 militants were killed in the Hamrin Mountains.
Peshmerga forces killed 10 militants in Khazar.
In Rubaidha, four militants were killed.
Two snipers were killed in Khalidiya.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- HRW Calls on Baghdad to Admit to Holding Prisoners; 25 Killed in Iraq – July 22nd, 2018
- Peshmerga Forces Beaten at Checkpoint; Seven Killed in Iraq – July 21st, 2018
- Amnesty Accuses Baghdad of Attacking Protesters; 4 Killed, 46 Wounded in Iraq – July 20th, 2018
- Mass Grave Yields 48 ISIS fighters; Seven Killed in Iraq – July 19th, 2018
- Kurdish-Iranian Activist Assassinated; Five Killed in Iraq – July 18th, 2018