On Friday, militants attacked Ramadi, halting Iraqi government attempts to liberate outlying areas of the city. Bombers also struck in Baghdad. Across the country, at least 145 were killed and 78 were wounded.
Suicide and car bombs broke military lines in the northern part of Ramadi. At least 25 security personnel were killed. A major general was wounded. At least 31 others were wounded. A militant emir and another leader were killed during the Sijariya fighting.
In the Albu Faraj suburb, the militants stormed the homes of security members and killed 15 family members, prompting hundreds to flee the area. Seven of the victims were children. Albu Aitha was the other district that was taken over.
In Baghdad, a suicide bomber struck at a restaurant serving Shi’ite militiamen, killing seven and wounding 16 more. Five civilians were killed and 12 were wounded by a car bomb blast in Karrada. Another blast wounded two people. A civilian was gunned down.
Over 60 militants were killed in the Hamrin Mountains.
Peshmerga forces killed 10 militants in Khazar.
In Rubaidha, four militants were killed.
Two snipers were killed in Khalidiya.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Victory Parade in Green Zone; Seven Injured Across Iraq – December 10th, 2017
- Scattered Attacks Leave 51 Killed Across Iraq – December 9th, 2017
- Christians Again Displaced; 13 Killed in Iraq – December 8th, 2017
- Clashes Reported in Kirkuk; 31 Killed Across Iraq – December 7th, 2017
- Kurdish Refugee Camp Bombed; 18 Killed in Iraq – December 6th, 2017