Gen. John Allen testified before the U.S. Congress on Wednesday. He said the Islamic State militants have lost half their leaders in Iraq. He also warned that the militant group cannot be completely eradicated, but its operational abilities can be reduced significantly.
Islamic State militants have abducted 100 Sunni men on two separate occasions in the town of Rubaidha. Witnesses saw vehicles carrying what they believe to be the detainees towards Mosul. The mass kidnapping may be tied to the immanent battle to recover nearby Tikrit. Boys under the age of 14 were among the victims.
At least 187 people were killed and 28 more were wounded.
Mortars in Falluja wounded 10 children.
Gunmen killed a civilian in Abu Taba.
Airstrikes in Abu Ghraib left 50 militants dead and 18 wounded.
In Garma, 30 militants were killed in an airstrike.
Five militants were killed in Sinjar.
Security forces killed three militants in Mussayab.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Truffle Gatherers Under Attack; Three Killed in Iraq – March 22nd, 2019
- 30 Found in Yazidi Mass Grave; Three Killed in Iraq – March 21st, 2019
- Soldiers Ambushed near Baghdad; 12 Killed in Iraq – March 19th, 2019
- PKK in Fresh Clashes; Eight Killed in Iraq – March 17th, 2019
- Eight Killed in Iraq as Turks Battle PKK – March 16th, 2019