Eleven people were killed and 24 were wounded in Baghdad. The U.S. government has approved the sale of 175 Abrams tanks to Iraq for $2.4 billion.
Landmines planted along the main road off Mount Sinjar are, so far, preventing the evacuation of Yazidis, but fresh supplies were delivered to the hundreds or thousands who are trapped on the mountain. Adding to the danger, sporadic clashes are also taking place.
Officials and residents of Tal Afar say Peshmerga troops are within eight miles of the city and engaged in heavy shelling. Also, Iraq’s counter terrorism unit, the Golden Brigades, has been operating around the city. Gunfire, explosions and fighter jets have been heard nearby.
In Baghdad, four people were killed and nine were wounded in a blast in Shabb. Two people were killed and eight more were wounded by a bomb on a commercial street. A bomb near auto shops killed two people. In Bayaa, a blast killed three and wounded seven.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Iraqi Troops Still Chasing ISIS; 39 Killed in Iraq – December 17th, 2017
- More Yazidi Victims Found in Mass Graves; 97 Killed in Iraq – December 16th, 2017
- Suicide Bomber Attacks Militia; 15 Killed in Iraq – December 15th, 2017
- Dozens of Sunnis Executed on Terror Charges; 53 Killed in Iraq – December 14th, 2017
- ISIS Attacks Troops, Mass Grave Found; 68 Killed in Iraq – December 13th, 2017