At least 215 people were killed today and 11 more were wounded. Most of the fatalities occurred during airstrikes.
About 50 U.S. troops were deployed to al-Asad air base in Anbar province, near Hit and Haditha. King Abdullah II of Jordan sent a planeload of humanitarian supplies to the same air base, a day after meeting with Iraqi Vice President Ayad Allawi.
Three F-16 jets purchased by Iraq will be delivered to them in Arizona where pilots will train in their use. An additional plane will be delivered each month until a total of 8 are transferred.
Admitting that Shi’ite militiamen are often undisciplined and hot-headed, an Iraqi general has ordered them away from the front lines after some of them burned down Sunni homes. Sunni residents say that the militiamen are also kidnapping and murdering them.
In Makhoul, bombs killed 15 people.
Gunmen killed two people in Muqdadiya.
A civilian was shot dead in Abu Ghraib.
Airstrikes in Albu Faraj, Aziz Balad, Baishkan, Khazraj, and Mtaibija left 67 militants dead.
Thirty militants were killed during airstrikes in Riyadh.
In Tikrit, 23 militants were killed.
Twenty militants were killed in Mishraq.
Eight militants were killed in heavy clashes with Peshmerga forces near the Mosul Dam in Wana.
Tribal fighters killed nine militants in Hawija.
In Mosul, a pair of I.E.D.s killed five militants.
An airstrike in Saidiya left four militants dead.
Three militants were killed in Sherwin during an airstrike.
In Buhriz, clashes left two militants dead.
Dozens of militants were killed airstrikes in Sinjar.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Kirkuk Blast Targets Political Party; 24 Killed in Iraq – September 19th, 2018
- Roadside Bombs Target Buses; 18 Killed in Iraq – September 18th, 2018
- Water Sickens Baghdad Soccer Team in Basra; 14 Killed or Found Dead in Iraq – September 17th, 2018
- Troops Deployed to Turkish Border; 20 Killed in Iraq – September 16th, 2018
- Children Found in Mosul Mass Grave; 11 Killed or Found Dead in Iraq – September 15th, 2018