Another Town Falls to ISIS; 114 Killed Across Iraq
Civilian casualties were remarkably light today, but heavy battles continued in western Iraq, and at least one town fell to Islamic State militants. Overall, 114 people were killed and five were wounded.
The Iraq Defense Ministry has confirmed the use of chlorine gas during on attack in Duluiya on Sept. 15. Eleven Iraqi policemen were sickened by the gas but survived. Unconfirmed but similar reports were made in Saqlawiya. U.S. officials are looking into these claims. During the U.S. occupation, some insurgents had used chlorine gas on occasion, so it is not the first time such weapons have been used in Iraq.
According to the Pentagon, the Iraqi Army is slowly regrouping, but it is months away from being able to stage significant operations against militants.
Fighters in Amiriyat al-Falluja held firm despite renewed attacks.
Three children were wounded in a mortar attack on Duluiya.
Mortars killed a policeman and wounded two others in Ramadi.
Security forces killed 43 militants in Dwalibah.
In Hajaj and Albu Tu’mma, 30 militants were killed.
Security forces killed 25 militants in Jurf al-Sakhar.
Six militants were killed in Falluja.
Four gunmen were killed in Rutba.
Near Baquba, a number of militants were killed using Russian anti-missiles.
Violent clashes took place in Ouja.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Battles Rage Not Far from Baghdad; 282 Killed, 116 Wounded Across Iraq – October 22nd, 2014
- 58 Killed, 45 Wounded Across Iraq; Militiamen Boldly Operate Under Own Terms – October 21st, 2014
- Bombs and Battles Kill 243, Wound 139 Across Iraq – October 20th, 2014
- 146 Are Killed in Battles and Bombings Across Iraq – October 19th, 2014
- New Iraq Ministers Selected, As 294 Are Killed – October 18th, 2014