Iraq Families Storm Parliament Looking for Answers, as 54 Are Killed
At least 54 people were killed today, only half of them were militants. The deadliest attacks were in Tal Kief and Baghdad, where a string of dead bodies was found. Another 19 people were wounded.
U.S. President Barack Obama deployed 350 more U.S. servicemembers to Baghdad. Although they will protect U.S. interests there, they are not considered combat troops.
Australia‘s first load of ammunition, including grenades and mortars, for Kurdish forces arrived in Arbil today. The delivery was arranged through Baghdad.
More than 100 relatives of missing Iraqi soldiers stormed the parliament building hoping to get answers. Two staff members were assaulted.
A U.S. airstrike accidentally killed seven family members in Tal Kief.
Shelling in Falluja killed three civilians and wounded 17 more.
In Baghdad, nine dumped bodies were found.
Several Peshmerga fighters were killed in clashes in Tuz.
Thirteen militants were killed in Hamidiya.
Artillery fire killed eight militants in Latifiya.
In Jurf al-Sakhar, airstrikes killed seven militants.
Dozens of militants were killed or wounded in Albu Bali, Hamra and Samra.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- 4,800 Killed in Iraq During August – September 1st, 2014
- 95 Killed across Iraq As Security Forces Reach Turkmen Town – August 31st, 2014
- Fight for Turkmen Town Unfolding As 200 Are Killed across Iraq – August 30th, 2014
- 220 Killed, 130 Wounded Across Iraq – August 29th, 2014
- ISIS Releases Beheading Video As 161 Are Killed Across Iraq – August 28th, 2014