Iraq Military Repulses Militants; 166 Killed, 96 Wounded
A large-scale attack took place in Samarra, but the Iraq government was able to repulse the militants. Nearby Baiji also came under attack. Over 120 militants were killed out of the 166 reported dead today. At least 96 were wounded. The numbers will likely rise.
Eight people were killed and nine more were wounded during air strikes in Falluja.
A Naqshabandiya militant leader was killed in western Anbar. This group is not affiliated with ISIS/DAASH.
In Samarra, scores of militants arrived in dozens of vehicles to lay siege to the city. The Iraqi military bombed the attackers and forced them to retreat. About 80 militants were killed. Some buildings were reportedly occupied before the militant forces withdrew. Twelve security members were killed, and reinforcements are on their way. An unknown number of civilians were killed, and at least 45 people were wounded.
The city sits on a major roadway about 80 miles north of Baghdad and would have been a great strategic prize if taken over. It is home to the Askari Shrine, one of the holiest sites in Iraq. A damaging attack on it is believed to have set off sectarian unrest in 2006. The city is not far from the fighting in Anbar province.
A suicide bomber in Baiji left one officer dead and four more wounded. Two soldiers were killed and five more were wounded in attacks against checkpoints. This may have been related to the events in Samarra.
A roadside bomb killed one person and wounded six more in Mahmoudiya.
Four people were killed during a house invasion in Latifiya.
Gunmen killed two civilians in Baquba.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- 178 Killed, 95 Wounded in Numerous Attacks, Clashes Across Iraq – September 17th, 2014
- Shi’ite Militias Reject PM Ministry Picks; 67 Killed Across Iraq – September 16th, 2014
- As Diplomats Discuss Iraq, 86 Are Killed across Country – September 15th, 2014
- Falluja Hospital Bombed Again As 42 Killed Across Iraq – September 14th, 2014
- Iraq PM Promises No More Airstrikes on Civilians; 63 Killed, 22 Wounded – September 13th, 2014