Although the number of civilian casualties is low today, two of the intended targets were high profile Sunni politicians. At least 54 people were killed and 26 were wounded today across Iraq.
Near Falluja, militants wearing military uniforms attacked a convoy carrying Deputy Prime Minister Saleh al-Mutlaq and M.P. Talal al-Zobaie after the two, along with other officials, inspected a dam that had been damaged by the militants. One bodyguard was killed and five more were wounded in the attack. Also, Sunnis in Falluja feel "betrayed" by the Shi’ite government that appears to be adding to their troubles instead of liberating them from the militants. Seven militants were killed.
Eleven gunmen were killed in Malahema.
In Hamidhiya, two suicide bombers were killed.
At least 24 others were killed across Anbar.
In Mosul, a bomb killed one person and wounded six more on a minibus.
A roadside bomb killed one and wounded nine more in Halawa.
A roadside bomb outside a candidate’s home in Kirkuk wounded his wife and son when it exploded.
Gunmen killed a mokhtar of Arbeed village.
A policeman’s body was found in Riyadh.
Two gunmen were killed in a clash in Adhaim.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- HRW Calls on Baghdad to Admit to Holding Prisoners; 25 Killed in Iraq – July 22nd, 2018
- Peshmerga Forces Beaten at Checkpoint; Seven Killed in Iraq – July 21st, 2018
- Amnesty Accuses Baghdad of Attacking Protesters; 4 Killed, 46 Wounded in Iraq – July 20th, 2018
- Mass Grave Yields 48 ISIS fighters; Seven Killed in Iraq – July 19th, 2018
- Kurdish-Iranian Activist Assassinated; Five Killed in Iraq – July 18th, 2018