Another Security Installation Targeted in Iraq; 31 Killed, 106 Wounded
Updated at 11:00 p.m. EST,. Dec. 5, 2013
Militants have again targeted a security installation in Iraq. Today’s attack took place in the northern city of Kirkuk. At least 31 people were killed and 106 more were wounded there or in other attacks.
In Kirkuk, militants attacked a government building that houses the intelligence service and national information agencies. A suicide blast announced the attack, and subsequent clashes led to the deaths of 11 people and four more suicide bombers. About 79 more were wounded. Gunmen also took over a neighboring mall, but police were able to safely liberate the 11 merchants taken hostage. Separately, four people were wounded in a bombing.
Gunmen attacked a checkpoint in Hamidhiya, where they killed three policemen and wounded four others.
Two civilians were gunned down in Ramadi.
An I.E.D. killed a soldier and wounded two more in Haditha.
A roadside bomb in Qaim killed a soldier and wounded four more.
One civilian was killed and two more were wounded in a sticky bomb explosion in Yathrib.
Gunmen killed a former police chief in Shirqat.
A bomb in Muqdadiya wounded four people including a child.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Fleeing Civilians Shot; 116 Killed in Iraq – August 25th, 2016
- Qayara Reported Liberated; 111 Killed in Iraq – August 24th, 2016
- Fighting Continues in Khalidiya; 189 Killed in Iraq – August 23rd, 2016
- 46 Killed in Iraq, Including British Demining Contractor – August 22nd, 2016
- Baghdad, ISIS Carry out Executions; 238 Killed in Iraq – August 21st, 2016