Updated at 11:00 p.m. EST,. Dec. 5, 2013
Militants have again targeted a security installation in Iraq. Today’s attack took place in the northern city of Kirkuk. At least 31 people were killed and 106 more were wounded there or in other attacks.
In Kirkuk, militants attacked a government building that houses the intelligence service and national information agencies. A suicide blast announced the attack, and subsequent clashes led to the deaths of 11 people and four more suicide bombers. About 79 more were wounded. Gunmen also took over a neighboring mall, but police were able to safely liberate the 11 merchants taken hostage. Separately, four people were wounded in a bombing.
Gunmen attacked a checkpoint in Hamidhiya, where they killed three policemen and wounded four others.
Two civilians were gunned down in Ramadi.
An I.E.D. killed a soldier and wounded two more in Haditha.
A roadside bomb in Qaim killed a soldier and wounded four more.
One civilian was killed and two more were wounded in a sticky bomb explosion in Yathrib.
Gunmen killed a former police chief in Shirqat.
A bomb in Muqdadiya wounded four people including a child.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Truffle Hunters Executed; 17 Killed in Iraq – February 19th, 2019
- Fresh Dangers for Truffle Hunters; 12 Killed in Iraq – February 18th, 2019
- Attack at Military Base Near Kirkuk; 11 Killed in Iraq – February 17th, 2019
- Elderly Shrine Tender Among Eight Killed in Iraq – February 16th, 2019
- More Truffle Gatherers Kidnapped; Four Killed in Iraq – February 15th, 2019