Updated at 11:00 p.m. EST,. Dec. 5, 2013
Militants have again targeted a security installation in Iraq. Today’s attack took place in the northern city of Kirkuk. At least 31 people were killed and 106 more were wounded there or in other attacks.
In Kirkuk, militants attacked a government building that houses the intelligence service and national information agencies. A suicide blast announced the attack, and subsequent clashes led to the deaths of 11 people and four more suicide bombers. About 79 more were wounded. Gunmen also took over a neighboring mall, but police were able to safely liberate the 11 merchants taken hostage. Separately, four people were wounded in a bombing.
Gunmen attacked a checkpoint in Hamidhiya, where they killed three policemen and wounded four others.
Two civilians were gunned down in Ramadi.
An I.E.D. killed a soldier and wounded two more in Haditha.
A roadside bomb in Qaim killed a soldier and wounded four more.
One civilian was killed and two more were wounded in a sticky bomb explosion in Yathrib.
Gunmen killed a former police chief in Shirqat.
A bomb in Muqdadiya wounded four people including a child.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Iraq Executes Dozens of Convicts; 116 Killed in Iraq – September 24th, 2017
- Shirqat Nearly Liberated; 297 Killed in Iraq – September 23rd, 2017
- Turkey Desperate to Stop Kurdish Vote; 41 Killed in Iraq – September 22nd, 2017
- Operations Launched in Hawija and Shirqat; 70 Killed in Iraq – September 21st, 2017
- Dozens of Bodies Found in Mass Graves; 121 Killed in Iraq – September 20th, 2017