Another Security Installation Targeted in Iraq; 31 Killed, 106 Wounded
Updated at 11:00 p.m. EST,. Dec. 5, 2013
Militants have again targeted a security installation in Iraq. Today’s attack took place in the northern city of Kirkuk. At least 31 people were killed and 106 more were wounded there or in other attacks.
In Kirkuk, militants attacked a government building that houses the intelligence service and national information agencies. A suicide blast announced the attack, and subsequent clashes led to the deaths of 11 people and four more suicide bombers. About 79 more were wounded. Gunmen also took over a neighboring mall, but police were able to safely liberate the 11 merchants taken hostage. Separately, four people were wounded in a bombing.
Gunmen attacked a checkpoint in Hamidhiya, where they killed three policemen and wounded four others.
Two civilians were gunned down in Ramadi.
An I.E.D. killed a soldier and wounded two more in Haditha.
A roadside bomb in Qaim killed a soldier and wounded four more.
One civilian was killed and two more were wounded in a sticky bomb explosion in Yathrib.
Gunmen killed a former police chief in Shirqat.
A bomb in Muqdadiya wounded four people including a child.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Attacks Focus on Diyala Province, 149 Killed across Iraq – May 8th, 2015
- Attacks, Fighting in Tikrit; 68 Killed across Iraq – May 7th, 2015
- Peshmerga Suffer Losses; 132 Killed across Iraq – May 6th, 2015
- 63 Killed across Iraq; Bombs Continue in Baghdad – May 5th, 2015
- Baiji Refinery in Peril, 106 Killed across Iraq – May 4th, 2015