While participating in Ashura holiday rituals today, many Shi’ites became easy targets for Sunni militants. Ashura commemorates the martyrdom of Imam Hussein and symbolizes the schism between Shi’ites and Sunnis. Nevertheless, about two million pilgrims safely reached the holy city of Karbala for observances there.
At least 67 people were killed and 152 more were wounded.
In Saidiya, a suicide bomber dressed in a military uniform attacked Shi’ite pilgrims recreating a historic battle. At least 32 people were killed and 80 more were wounded. A second suicide bomber, possibly in nearby Baquba, killed 16 more and wounded another 27 pilgrims. Because Diyala is a confessionally mixed province, it has been the scene of many attacks on Shi’ite pilgrims, not only this year but in years past as well.
In Mosul, an I.E.D. killed two soldiers and wounded two more. A security official escaped an assassination attempt. Mortars targeting pilgrims wounded a policeman instead. A bomb wounded three more policemen. A bomb at a policeman’s home killed his son and wounded his wife.
Gunmen killed an imam at his home in Baquba.
Twin bombings in Kirkuk wounded five people.
A child was wounded during a rocket attack in Tal Afar.
An I.E.D. in Tikrit left one policeman with injuries.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Truffle Gatherers Under Attack; Three Killed in Iraq – March 22nd, 2019
- 30 Found in Yazidi Mass Grave; Three Killed in Iraq – March 21st, 2019
- Soldiers Ambushed near Baghdad; 12 Killed in Iraq – March 19th, 2019
- PKK in Fresh Clashes; Eight Killed in Iraq – March 17th, 2019
- Eight Killed in Iraq as Turks Battle PKK – March 16th, 2019