Baghdad Blast Drives Casualty Toll to 92 Killed, 120 Wounded
At least 92 people were killed and 120 more were wounded in today’s attacks. Although there were not that many attacks, the severity of those in Baghdad and Rawa left behind the substantial body count.
In Baghdad, a double suicide bombing at a cafe in the Amil neighborhood killed 55 people who had gathered to watch a televised football game. Another 70 victims were wounded. The driver may have arrived in a minibus. The area of the attack was quickly sanitized of all evidence.
Elsewhere in the capital, gunmen killed an imam in Abu Dsheer. A bomb in Ghazaliya wounded six people. Two people were killed and four more were wounded in a blast in Amiriya. A meat vendor was killed south of the city.
Eight suicide bombers attacked the police station, an administrative center, and an army checkpoint in Rawa. Eight people were killed, including three officials, a child, and civilians. At least 28 more were wounded. Rawa is not well known for such violence, but it has been suffering a surge in violence in recent weeks. It could predict a violent winter.
In Baaj, a roadside bomb killed four people including a woman. Another bomb killed two soldiers and wounded one more. Two policemen were killed and four civilians were wounded in a bombing in Wadi Hajar.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- 109 Killed As Bombers Strike in Baghdad and Iraq Army Base – September 22nd, 2014
- Siege at Army Base Ongoing; 175 Killed, 102 Wounded Across Iraq – September 21st, 2014
- Clashes and Airstrikes Across Iraq Leave 154 Dead and Dozens Wounded – September 20th, 2014
- 71 Killed, 86 Wounded Across Iraq As Bombers Hit Baghdad Again – September 19th, 2014
- Bombers Strike near Baghdad Shrine; 195 Killed, 173 Wounded Across Iraq – September 18th, 2014