At least 92 people were killed and 120 more were wounded in today’s attacks. Although there were not that many attacks, the severity of those in Baghdad and Rawa left behind the substantial body count.
In Baghdad, a double suicide bombing at a cafe in the Amil neighborhood killed 55 people who had gathered to watch a televised football game. Another 70 victims were wounded. The driver may have arrived in a minibus. The area of the attack was quickly sanitized of all evidence.
Elsewhere in the capital, gunmen killed an imam in Abu Dsheer. A bomb in Ghazaliya wounded six people. Two people were killed and four more were wounded in a blast in Amiriya. A meat vendor was killed south of the city.
Eight suicide bombers attacked the police station, an administrative center, and an army checkpoint in Rawa. Eight people were killed, including three officials, a child, and civilians. At least 28 more were wounded. Rawa is not well known for such violence, but it has been suffering a surge in violence in recent weeks. It could predict a violent winter.
In Baaj, a roadside bomb killed four people including a woman. Another bomb killed two soldiers and wounded one more. Two policemen were killed and four civilians were wounded in a bombing in Wadi Hajar.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Turkish Jets Strike PKK Camps; 38 Killed Across Iraq – December 11th, 2017
- Victory Parade in Green Zone; Seven Injured Across Iraq – December 10th, 2017
- Scattered Attacks Leave 51 Killed Across Iraq – December 9th, 2017
- Christians Again Displaced; 13 Killed in Iraq – December 8th, 2017
- Clashes Reported in Kirkuk; 31 Killed Across Iraq – December 7th, 2017