Baghdad Blast Drives Casualty Toll to 92 Killed, 120 Wounded
At least 92 people were killed and 120 more were wounded in today’s attacks. Although there were not that many attacks, the severity of those in Baghdad and Rawa left behind the substantial body count.
In Baghdad, a double suicide bombing at a cafe in the Amil neighborhood killed 55 people who had gathered to watch a televised football game. Another 70 victims were wounded. The driver may have arrived in a minibus. The area of the attack was quickly sanitized of all evidence.
Elsewhere in the capital, gunmen killed an imam in Abu Dsheer. A bomb in Ghazaliya wounded six people. Two people were killed and four more were wounded in a blast in Amiriya. A meat vendor was killed south of the city.
Eight suicide bombers attacked the police station, an administrative center, and an army checkpoint in Rawa. Eight people were killed, including three officials, a child, and civilians. At least 28 more were wounded. Rawa is not well known for such violence, but it has been suffering a surge in violence in recent weeks. It could predict a violent winter.
In Baaj, a roadside bomb killed four people including a woman. Another bomb killed two soldiers and wounded one more. Two policemen were killed and four civilians were wounded in a bombing in Wadi Hajar.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- 78 Killed in Iraq; Bombs Rattle Baghdad, Shirqat – July 23rd, 2016
- Sadr Militia to Fight in Mosul; 29 Killed in Iraq – July 22nd, 2016
- More Exposure Deaths near Shirqat; 37 Killed in Iraq – July 21st, 2016
- Death by Exposure for Children Fleeing ISIS; 29 Killed in Iraq – July 20th, 2016
- Dozens of Civilians Executed; 69 Killed Across Iraq – July 19th, 2016