Updated at 4:35 p.m. EDT, Sept. 16, 2013
The start of the workweek began with a series of bombings across Baghdad and the Shi’ite south. At least 90 people were killed and 227 more were wounded. Shootings and bombing also took place throughout the country, but most of the casualties occurred south of the capital.
In Baghdad, a bomb targeting the provincial council head killed three bodyguards and wounded eight others, who were traveling in Adhamiya, but not the official. A suicide bomber in Shula killed 10 people and wounded 30 more. In Mashtal, a bomb killed two people and wounded seven more. A sticky bomb injured a driver in Abu Dsheer. In Mustansiriya, a bomb killed one person and wounded four more. Gunmen stormed a Rashid home where they killed a Sahwa leader, his wife and two children.
Outside of Kut in the towns of Suwayra and Hafriya, four separate bombs killed seven people and wounded 31 more.
Five people were killed and 25 more were wounded in a bombing in an industrial district of Karbala.
A bomb killed four people and wounded nine more at an Iskandariya parking lot.
Two bombs near Kirkuk in Debis killed two people and wounded sixteen more.
A bomb targeting police killed two bystanders and wounded nine more in Abu Ghraib.
Gunmen killed three Sunni farmers in Abu Saida.
Three travelers were shot dead in Shirqat.
Gunmen killed a man in Mualimeen.
In Falluja, a car bomb killed two bombers and wounded four family members at their home. Five people were wounded in a separate explosion.
A bomb in Buhriz wounded three people.
In Mussayab, two people were wounded in a blast.
Gunmen injured a soldier at a checkpoint in Jurf al-Sakhar.
Read more by Margaret Griffis
- Displaced Kurds Told Hometown Unsafe for Them to Return; 22 Killed in Iraq – October 21st, 2017
- Civilian Casualties in Battle at Kurdish Border; 67 Killed in Iraq – October 20th, 2017
- Security Forces Shoot Protesters in Kirkuk, Khanaqin; 18 Killed in Iraq – October 19th, 2017
- Peshmerga Casualty Figures Raised; 90 Killed in Iraq – October 18th, 2017
- Kurds Begin Return Home to Kirkuk; Eight Killed in Iraq – October 17th, 2017